Which Photon Transform View Interpolation and Extrapolation is the best?

Options
Title says it all. I'm just kind of surprised that people still seem to give the Transform view a try, but end up mostly going back to their own inter/extrap from OnPhotonSerializeView. Surely by this point the Transform view has the best all around performance and ease?

Comments

• jeanfabre
    Options
    Hi,

yes, the PhotonTransformView is supposed to get you up and running fast, and provides a wide range of possibilities, wether interpolation or extrapolation is best for you is a matter of testing really, it depends the kind of movement you expect from your players and the game play in general.

re people moving away from it. Basically, I see it like this joke, "Why do chicken always cross the roads in front of your car? because you don't see the rest of them crossing behind you". It's the same here I supposed, people aren't going to post that PhotonTransformView was setup right and they ran with it from then on...

However, you will find cases where implementing your own serialization make sense, yes, and it doesn't mean PhotonTransformView is not suitable for other cases. It really varies from project to project as well as expectations and should always be tested first with it.

Bye,

Jean
  • steamcore
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful response Jean. Where can I see some code examples of "Syncronize Values" for proper interp/extrap? That seems to be what I'm doing anyway in OnPhotonSerializeView, and giving me the best response.
  • jeanfabre
    Options
    Hi,

The best way is to use the demo "Demo Synchronization" or "Movement smoothing" in the demo hub to get an idea of the effect compared to other effects, else, it's very tricky to really understand what's going on.

so open that demo, it has extrapolation and interpolation comparision for you to witness visually.

you can then easily modify this demo to remove the one you don't want and add other in the tests to compare them

Bye,

Jean
  • steamcore
    steamcore ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ah right thanks. Forgot about that scene. Just opened it up and did a few tests, and then applied the settings I tried to my cars.

Right now I'm doing my own in OnPhotonSerializeView, and I'm blending between Interpolation if an update was recent, and Extrapolation if the last update age approaches my avg total round trip time. I find it is better than the built in. Does the built in transform view used a weighted blend on interp/extrap?
  • jeanfabre
    Options
    Hi,

I don't know, I would need to compare with your code. but the PhotonTransformView is totally open source so you can open the component and various classes involved in the process to see how each option is implemented.

Bye,

Jean