Syncing Swords and Fast Moving Objects

Options
I know this is a topic that's frequently discussed and brought up, but I wanted to bring some of the specific issues I've been having to the table.

I've been developing a game for the HTC Vive that involves very fast-moving swords for freeform 1v1 combat. As you might guess, the most troubling issue I've had so far is properly synchronizing the swords on the network. The absolute BEST results I've had (using Photon Transform View, fixed transform speed at 180, fixed rotation at 180) are still absolutely riddled with constant clipping and too-slow movement.

Due to frequent offline testing, I know my collision physics are fine, and all physics are handled locally on the client. So I know it's the network that's been causing the issues. My guess is that I need to somehow increase the packet send rate to (at least closely) match the physics timestep. However I have no how to accomplish that, if it's even possible.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• jeanfabre
    Options
    Hi,

I would not go there, and instead simply send an RPC telling to hit with a sword start from a given position and rotation, with a given movement, your clients will then all started from the same position and rotation for that sword, and they all compute and animate the sword locally.

Bye,

Jean