IPv6 for Unity iOS Exports

Comments

• Grinch said:

ok Got it guys UNITY 5.5.0f3 has no problem with connecting pun server using their guideline :)

That is awesome! I've gotten rejected twice now. I'll try to upgrade to 5.5.0f3 and upload again. Will get back with results!
    That did it! About 2.5 hours after I upped the Unity version to 5.5.0f3 (and PUN 1.79) and resubmitted they approved it. I didn't make any other changes. By the way I'm using Photon Cloud.
  • nope sorry guys test is working on my MAC but they have rejected game even for this build WTF i need fix right now ! @Tobias can you help us :(
  • Grinch said:

ok Got it guys UNITY 5.5.0f3 has no problem with connecting pun server using their guideline :)

That is awesome! I've gotten rejected twice now. I'll try to upgrade to 5.5.0f3 and upload again. Will get back with results!
    That did it! About 2.5 hours after I upped the Unity version to 5.5.0f3 (and PUN 1.79) and resubmitted they approved it. I didn't make any other changes. By the way I'm using Photon Cloud.
    Protocol is set to UDP or TCP ?
  • fruktprins
    edited December 2016
    Grinch said:

Grinch said:

Protocol is set to UDP or TCP ?
    Udp with Hosting: Best region.
  • I am using UDP and Eu for region hmmm on my MAC with NAT64 everything is working i am out of solutions :D on all other platforms no problem using IPV6 apple is making me crazy thanks dude for info :)
  • Yeaaahh Approved finally :) switched to TCP and now i have green light :)
  • How are updates about that issue?

I tried already everything and still have rejected.

Unity 5.5.0f3
    PUN 1.79
    Tried UDP and TCP

Tested on NAT64 - everything is fine

I cant understand what is their problem because for me its working fine without problems.
  • Shark812
    Shark812
    edited December 2016
    ByQ said:

How are updates about that issue?

I tried already everything and still have rejected.

Unity 5.5.0f3

PUN 1.79

Tried UDP and TCP

Tested on NAT64 - everything is fine

I cant understand what is their problem because for me its working fine without problems.

Same here, just got rejected 2 times already, maybe we will not able to push the update before the Christmas Holiday and that would be terrible for us. Any help would be very appreciated.

Right now we are using Photon Cloud - Udp - Region Eu
  • Grinch said:

Yeaaahh Approved finally :) switched to TCP and now i have green light :)

i will try this as well
  • I updated pun 1.80 and I use unity 5.4.0 I got rejected to IOS my game i tested my iphone it works i can create room and play :S what is the problem ?
  • You are at the right place. Please read the first post in this thread. Appeal the rejection, pointing out that you tested OK.
  • I updated game unity 5.4.4 and pun 1.80 i am waiting for review i tested it works i hope they approve my game :neutral:
  • my game approved finally IOS build settings

Unity 5.4.4
    PUN 1.80
    TCP
    .Net2.0Subset
    I disable in app purchase

good luck !

• We're currently having trouble getting our game's new update approved. App review team just can't connect to Photon servers on their IPv6 network.

Our current setup:
    Unity 5.5.1p4
    PUN 1.79
    UDP
    .NET 2.0 Subset

We're using the 'Best Region' option. Players can also pick specific server but that is also not working when the game is reviewed.

Any ideas or new updates for this situation?
  • After being rejected 4 times, we submitted a new version changing the protocol to TCP and we were approved.

That's the only changed we did.

Make sure you test on IPv6 using Apple Guidelines, but those worked for us both in UDP and TCP.
  • Tobias
    Tobias admin
    edited April 2017
    We got several cases, where TCP seems to work in Apple's Tests but UDP won't. Some developer went as far as enabling UDP later on, when the game released (via a config loaded from the web on start).

After much back and forth, we got this info from Apple, which might drive this case:

When developers report that Apple Review has rejected their application based on a failure to launch or connect to some server across a NAT64 connection, first verify that the application works across a macOS NAT64 connection as discussed in the document:
    Supporting IPv6 DNS64/NAT64 Networks
    https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/NetworkingInternetWeb/Conceptual/NetworkingOverview/UnderstandingandPreparingfortheIPv6Transition/UnderstandingandPreparingfortheIPv6Transition.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010220-CH213-SW1

Of specific interest is the section “Test for IPv6 DNS64/NAT64 Compatibility Regularly” - This section provides for a means for the developer to replicate a NAT64 test environment using macOS 10.11 or higher. If the iOS application is successful in working across the macOS NAT64 test environment, then the next step is to submit a bug report. We ask developers to use the Apple Developer Bug Report web page - http://bugreport.apple.com to submit the bug report. The bug report is to indicate that there is some compatibility issue between the app and the App Review test environment. In the bug report, the developer provides evidence that the iOS application worked successfully across the macOS NAT64 test environment by including a packet trace to show the success of the connection process.

Note that the bug report is not an indication as to where the problem lies, but the fact that the iOS app works in the test environment and not in App Review is an indication that the app / App Review interaction needs further review. Once the bug report is submitted, there issue is then assigned to investigation by an App Review group. Once a bug report is assigned to App Review, the next thing is to follow up with the bug report by communication with App Review - “[email protected]”. While the email inquiries may not always get a response - all of the correspondence is viewed.

We are going to do this. Anyone who encounters this issue, should politely report this as potential bug, too.
  • Unity 5.6.03f
    PhotonRealtime v4.1.1.7

got rejected 5 times on both TCP / UDP setting.

What else I can do? We are facing very serious issues with publisher here since we can't get project through.
  • @shinobu: Did you do the testing as described in Apple's document and it worked? Did you appeal the reject at Apple saying that??
    Despite all tries, we have no proper route to Apple and no insight into their testing yet. It's a mess and we're just tiny, struggling with a giant.

I'm sorry we can't really help. The docs by Apple are all we can go by.
  • I have 2 rejected and 2 accepted same code :)
    upgrade mac os sierra 10.12.5 update xcode.

I tested MacOs NAT64 and I connected real ipv6 network (tunnel broker) tested unity.
    Not a have problem photon. but apple rejected 2 time.

Last i changed it to udp to tcp. 3 hour still waited in review The longest review time I've ever seen
    bingo my application approved.

• Hello,

I'm writing to let you know we had some trouble with Apple and IPv6 compatibility. Our PUN version is 1.80 and it's supposed to be compatible with IPv6. I've read some forum posts and it seems we are doing everything right.

After three rejections and some asumptions made, I decided to make a build of our game that supports no connection to photon being made (thus real pvp is disabled and all matches happen against bots). The result is that Apple approved the build and we are now ready to go. We can enable photon connections again from our backend without having to send a new build, but it still won't work for users under IPv6 connections.

It took me long to realize that the issue was with photon because everything works when we try to reproduce the issue using the apple guidelines to testing IPv6 compatibility. However, those guidelines don't create the same environment apple uses for their testing.

Finally, I checked the store and saw there is a 1.83 version of PUN, does it solve any of this? Is there anything I can be doing wrong that causes Photon's connection to fail?

Thank you.

PS: I'm including links to the store in case you want to check it out.
    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fromthebenchgames.topstarsfootball
    iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/top-stars-liga-de-campeones-de-fútbol/id1179364951?l=es&ls=1&mt=8

Regards,
  • Just got approved today using same technique as @Raúl. Have to make "Apple Mode" that disable photon and forced user to stay in tutorial. then enable the full mode later on when got approved.
  • @Raúl: PUN v1.83 does not solve the issue with Apple's testing, sorry. We're still positive that everything we've done should be OK with Apple's requirements.

Did you report a bug about Apple's testing?! This would be very important to make them aware there is a gap between their requirements, testing facilities and their test team's hardware/software setup.
  • Raúl
    Raúl
    edited May 2017
    @Tobias This helped us: https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/147579#147579

We learned that following their guidelines does not create a real ipv6 envirnonment, it pretty much just makes your app fail if you have any hardcoded ipv4 adresses on your logic. We also checked our backend servers and made some changes to make them more compatible, but still that wasn't the real issue, photon was.

I will file a bug report on their side anyway, they should change their process or at least give more feedback on errors like this.

Thanks for doing that report. Name us. Add our email address to any CCs, so we can add details.
  • We actually setup proper IPv6 for our office and tested our app with two or three DNS64/NAT64 test services. So if that is available for any IPv6 network that the client is in, then we're quite sure we can connect. It's just that App Review can't.

We can re-do tests but we can't pry open Apple's labs unless they support us.
  • Guts
    Guts
    edited May 2017
    As many others have experienced, I had been struggling getting my game approved on the App Store since its initial launch. I followed their setup process in the "Test for IPv6 DNS64/NAT64 Compatibility Regularly" section of their article, setting up an IPv6 test environment on my MacBook Pro and connecting to it on my iPhone. Every time I tested, I was able to connect to Photon with no issues and everything worked as expected on my end. Furthermore, my active players were not experiencing any issues. However, I was repeatedly rejected during the review process, for the same reason as everyone else, but was able to trace the source of them being unable to play to where the game was attempting to connect them to a Photon Cloud server from their screenshots and my backend logs (they could log into an account with their mobile device but not connect to Photon).

My iOS builds were falling far behind my Android ones so I decided to experiment based on a few of the comments here, and switch the protocol in PhotonServerSettings from UDP to TCP. Sure enough my build was approved within 24 hours. I could also see in my logs that they were able to log into their account, authenticate with a Photon Cloud server, then play. I should mention prior to doing this I tried appealing the rejections explaining that I followed their test procedures but was still turned down.

I have only tested one build like this, but as others have mentioned that seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately, I do not know what it is in their test environment that is not allowing them to connect when UDP is used, but I wanted to add an additional confirmation if it can help in any way. I did not go as far as contacting Developer Technical Support to submit a Technical Support Incident (TSI), which was also recommended to me to get code-level assistance, but that may be the way to go in determining what the root of the problem is.
  • Guts, what version of Unity have you used? Did you use .Net 2.0 or .Net 2.0 subset? Our game has been rejected 6 times using various photon settings (PUN 1.7.5
    0 and Unity 5.5.2.
  • just got rejected this annoys me very much every time someone stupid should test the app and reject it wtf :neutral: all the time i am testing it its works like a charm an now boom
  • This finally got my game approved:
    void Start()
        {
            if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.IPhonePlayer)
            {
                PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.Protocol = ConnectionProtocol.Tcp;
                PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.ServerPort = 4530;
            }
            else
            {
                PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.Protocol = ConnectionProtocol.Udp;
                PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.ServerPort = 5055;
            }
        }

The other platforms still use UDP and iOS uses TCP - they can still join a game together with mixed protocols.
  • Our game got rejected 4 times , for the same reason , it is not working and not connected to server in apple's testing environment , we even tried switching to TCP and the game got rejected as well

The game works perfectly on our devices even on ipv6 network setup

We are using unity 5.4.1 and latest photon sdk ,

Can anyone help we are desperate
  • Hi everyone! Unfortunately we have the same IPv6 rejection issue coming up over and over again , we are on a dual-stack network in our office and everything works both in our network and when testing through Apple's DNS64/NAT64 environment. I'm really far from a networking expert myself ( hence using Photon ) but when I checked the url "ns.exitgames.com" via this site http://ready.chair6.net it says it couldn't connect through IPv6 on port 80 also the hostname doesn't have AAAA record.

Now I remember you guys said you set up a fully compatible IPv6 network and everything should work fine but I'm not sure that this really the case, but then again I'm completely over my head here. So maybe @Tobias you could let me know if this is something noteworthy or not? Thanks.