Voice Support?

Options
Is there any voice support with Photon/Unity?

Comments

• dreamora
    dreamora
    edited October 2011
    Options
    unity has no voice (or any sort of audio input) support at all at the time.
  • dragagon
    Options
    Photon itself does not directly support voice, however it is possible for you to send voice data through the server to the clients. I guess that makes it more dependent on Unity supporting it, which dreamora says it doesn't.
  • Prime31 has several plugins for Unity that support p2p voice chat via Game Center, but this is not true multiplayer, so just wondering if particle has any support, or can provide any support.
    dreamora wrote:
    unity has no voice (or any sort of audio input) support at all at the time.
  • dreamora
    Options
    yosun wrote:
    Prime31 has several plugins for Unity that support p2p voice chat via Game Center, but this is not true multiplayer, so just wondering if particle has any support, or can provide any support.

That is of no use though in this context cause the voice is facilitated by GC and only available on iOS 4.0+ therefor, no other platform.

Unity 3.5 has, at least if the roadmap works out as planned, the chance to get voice.
    But otherwise the only options are plugins which means unity pro and only osx / win standalones (and mobiles naturally but on mobile I would consider it twice, realtime voice stuff isn't cheap on the cpu and you lose that cpu time from drawcalls, physics and ai in trade)
  • Tobias
    Options
    If you get the voice data, it's possible to send it via Photon. The question is most likely, how you get it.
    In native applications on iOS, there is a way to get voice data but unless Unity 3.5 supports this, you would have to find some plugin.

Funny enough, a post on the Unity forum claims voice support in the browser by a fitting Java Applet.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/24993- ... ava-Applet
    Could Flash do this, too? They support microphones, as far as I know.
  • Can you explain or outline how to integrate multiuser voice chat with Photon? Preumably this is some method of streaming binary data in general from mic and then combining it on Photon server for send to the others' earphones?
  • up. still interested in your solution! :)
  • Tobias
    Options
    Well, we don't have a real product or special support for voice over Photon. I know a customer did this (in general):

The server and client libs allow you to send byte arrays. Basically, this is all that's needed. Grab the digitalized and compressed voice stream from the "voice API", chunk it every 100ms to 500ms and send it to everyone in the room (by using RaiseEvent, e.g.). Others receive events, grab the
    voice data and put it into the "voice API" as output. That should playback the voice...

So, the actual implementation would be on your part.
  • I've got a voice plugin for Unity (now that we have the Microphone class it's possible on I believe all platforms except for Flash and NaCl)
    I've also tested it with Photon, both standard and PUN: u3d.as/3sR
  • Tobias
    Options
    You have such a plugin? In the Asset Store? Somewhere else?
    Why don't you post a link to it? You're welcome to do that, if it works with Photon.
  • dreamora
    Options
    He posted the link.
    That strange u3d.as thingy is a unity asset store link :)
  • Tobias
    Options
    Oh!
    Missed that, totally!
    I edited this into a BBCode link, so now it's a bit more obvious :)
    Thanks for the heads up!