What does Photon server do after players join a room?

Options
I am a noob when it comes to Photon's infrastructure. But it seems to me in our game, after match making, players just need to talk to each, without interacting with Photon Sever.

The reason I am asking this is because some player had been reporting bad connection in the game, even though their internet connections are good. For example some China players report problem, while German players are fine.

Our games only talks to each other, so why would the Photon region server be an factor?

Thanks
David

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi @cyberswine,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

What region(s) are you using? I'm assuming "EU".

Photon Cloud is built with the idea of connecting clients to the closest region to get the best and fastest results (low latency, better ping, etc.).

China is another story, people inside China should connect to China region only and people outside of China should not connect to China region. If you want to target China please drop us an email at developer at photonengine dot com.
  • cyberswine
    Options
    In the PhotonServerSettings we are setting Region to US. Our product has world wide audience, including China. Which region should we set it to? Should we set it to None?

Thanks
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi @cyberswine,

Photon is region locked, so if you two users connect to two different regions, they will be on different servers and will not be able to get matched together.

If you want all your users to be able to join rooms together no matter where they are from then configuring PUN to connect to a single region is correct but it has the disadvantage of having unbalanced pings between users sometimes.

China users should be handled differently due to the GFW.
  • cyberswine
    Options
    So can I let player select the region they want at runtime?

Please explain the steps.

Thanks
    David
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes you can let the player select the region at runtime and call PhotonNetwork.ConnectToRegion(regionCode, gameVersion);
    But as I mentioned before, users connected to different regions won't be able to see each other.