Requirements for a musou-like game

Options
Hello there,

I'm creating a musou-like game prototype (musou-like = games like dynasty warriors, warriors orochi, hyrule warriors, etc) with online coop.

First of all, I started with my own server, made with Java using java.nio. I saw that it was a really long task, especially when you have to implement navMesh handling on server side to avoid movement-based cheats.

Then I saw PUN and started the basic tutorial, checked a lot of documentation etc.

The main problem in my game is handling a lot of NPCs on the screen (I'd say 200 max), with aoi Area Of Interest (to have better perfs) and actually I don't know if PUN will be able to handle such a thing (500Msg/s/room is the limit that worries me). Also, I have no idea where to start the implementation of both aoi and NPC AI on "server side" since I don't have access to the server.

The game is made that you have 12 players in each room, 10 on terrain and 2 strategists. So handling the IA on a "master client" should not be a problem, but what if he dc's, and how to choose this client? If one runs the game on a toaster PC, I don't want him to handle NPC AIs...

I hope you'll be able to enlighten me.

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Supamiu,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

You can have custom Server Side logic using two options:
    1. Custom Server App (Photon Server SDK)
    2. Custom Plugin (Photon Plugins SDK)

Please check these documentation pages:
    Master Client and Host Migration
    Culling Demo
  • Supamiu
    Options
    Hi @JohnTube , thank you for your reply,

I know that a server app can be custom by using one of the SDk you linked but is there any way to implement culling with PUN? It would be awesome if I could make everything from Unity, else I'll have to face a lot of problematics on server side + hosting and it's not a good point for me.

Master Client and Host Migration can be a solution for this but the problem is how to do this with a limited number of messages per seconds? Even if I implement culling, I might have 100+ npcs on the screen which means (100 * msg per npc) per second, and that's the problem I am facing right now.