Major problems with HTC Vive

Options
Hello,

I have been having issues with Photon for over a week. Every time there are two users on the network, photon just leaves out data every 10 seconds (for about 2 seconds, then it starts working, then again stops after 10 seconds or so). This has never happened to me before with Photon - it started happening with HTC Vive.

I tried everything - started projects from scratch about 10 times, tried Pun+ that I paid for, tried free version of Photon, tried it on 4 different computers + 2 Wi-Fi networks, I don't think there is anything more I can do.

The weirdest thing is, sometimes it works perfectly, then I reopen the app without changing anything and it starts leaving out the data again. Also, this seems to be happening only when I have HTC Vive plugged in and SteamVR is ready - when its not, everything works seamlessly anytime I try it.

After a week of hopeless debugging, it seems there are some underlying issues with Photon and HTC Vive. Can you guys confirm if this has been the case for someone else? Even though I paid 100hundred bucks for Pun+ it seems like I have to abandon everything I worked on. If you can help me in any way, please let me know.

Sam

Comments

• Sam,

Unfortunately I do not have solid an answer for you, but I can say definitively that the problem you are encountering is not universal. My company (which uses PUN+ and both Oculus and Vive headsets), frequently has 8+ people all actively play testing our game in the same room, and we are not seeing the issue you describe.

That said, ever since we started working with the current generation of VR devices, I have noticed intermittent issues with wireless devices (bluetooth mice, etc.) that I suspect is caused by interference from the wireless radios in the VR controllers. When I work in my home office, my computer is pretty far away from my WiFi router and already had a weak signal to begin with. When I started doing VR development my connection to the router would frequently drop and I was forced to change how my home network was configured. Our office on the other hand has hard-wired ethernet connections. This might be a possible explanation. I would suggest trying a wired network setup and see if that resolves the problem.

-Dan
  • SamPav
    Options
    Hi thanks for reply!

It looks like the problem wasn't with Photon after all, so I apologize - the solution to my problem was stop launching VR through steam and instead launching it by turning on your game (then, VR launches automatically).

I have no idea why, but it doesn't work well with Photon if you launch VR the way you are supposed to. Tried this on several PCs and networks so if anyone else has this kind of problem, the solution is NOT launching VR through steam, no matter how dumb that sounds.

Thanks again for your help :) And if anyone finds this, yes, the solution doesn't really makes sense but it works.