Rank-Based Match Making?

Options
Hello,

I was attempting to put together rank-based matchmaking using SQL lobbies. It appears it's not as straightforward as I had envisioned going into this. My goal is to simply create or find a random room of +/- 100 of a player's rank. I created the parameters as I thought necessary, but it appears it will match people regardless of their rank. Of course I no longer have the code, but I can attempt to recreate what I had if needed for an example and tweaking.

Thanks!!

Comments

• N1warhead
    Options
    I know it isn't simple to do.

But using SQL should be able to do it.
    What you can do (if it's possible) is to get a list of all the players names
    then run a qurie based on the ranks to the names of the players.

Then do a little math such as
    if(rank == 20){
    if(maxPlayerRating== 40){
    //Skip server. And Find another.
    }
    }

I know that's not exactly helping too too much, but it should be doable using simple ints.
    Do like a list of ints based on the sql feedback, then get the highest rank inside the list,
    then do some calculations based off your rank, such is if the rank of the other player is greater than 5
    skip to the next server and check that one, after all servers have been checked (unless one is found), then create one.

Again, not sure how helpful that is, but in theory it should work.
  • taleri
    taleri
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like a pretty good approach - I guess I should then save the results to go with the closest match if I hit the end of the rooms without a definite match in my goal zone? I would probably have to have a hard cut-off though, otherwise no new rooms would be made.

Curious to see if any other options, but I will give this a shot. Definitely something better to work off of than my initial idea.

Thanks again!