UE4 Photon Plugin

Options
Hey;
I had a lot of headaches and wasted time trying to figure out why the SDK particle demo for UE4 isn't working... It turns out that the actual zip file from the SDK url has missing header files (unless you already have older version of the demo) and also is very annoying to correctly setup the .libs from Windows SDK into UE4 project folders, not to tell the way that Photon header files in the particle demo project is also "just dropped" inside the UE4 project folder generating mis organization to the project.

So, after figuring out which file is compatible with current engine version I've decided to create a "real" plugin.
This one actually fits EpicGames standards and shows up in the "Plugins" panel of the engine editor; it's also the standard format for in case you want to publish it in Epic's Marketplace as an engine extension.
This plugin implements a new Unreal Engine model which links the .lib files properly for the correct build mode and platform...
It also implements a 'PHOTON_API' which exports classes created inside the plugin module to be used by game classes or other plugins. All it's needed to use it is adding the "Photon" module to the users Build.cs PublicDependencyModuleNames[].
I did it only for the Windows SDK, but is pretty straightforward to extend the Build.cs file and add Android, OSX, etc;

You can find it at GitHub, here:
https://github.com/BrUnOXaVIeRLeiTE/UE4_Photon-Plugin

Comments

• Hey, BxBL, I'm trying to set up Photon with my game that is built in UE4, and it seems like your plugin is the way to do it. Is it still valid? Because the link appears to be broken now.
  • BxBL
    Options
    That is outdated, so I deleted the git page.
    I've decided not to use Photon now that Gamesparks has a real-time network api.
  • Good to know, thanks! Looking into that now. Does it seem like something a networking/C++ beginner could manage?