Player controllers already exist issue

Options
Hello,

I PhotonNetwork.Instantiate my player and seperately PhotonNetwork.Instantiate the controls (Canvas UI button, joystick for mobile game).

When 1 player is in the room alone all is fine.

When a player joins I get an error that the player controls already exist. This causes the original and newly joined character to lose all their controls (ie buttons/joystick don't work).

I tried combining the controls into the player prefab but since it's a canvas that didn't work.

How can I fix this?

Update:

This is what I do to find the controls to use in player script:
void Start () { m_PhotonView = GetComponent<PhotonView> (); if( m_PhotonView.isMine == true ) { FlyJoystick = GameObject.Find("FlyJoystickInstNet").GetComponent<ETCJoystick>(); FlyJoystick.onMove.AddListener( On_Move_Flyjoystick); FlyJoystick.onMoveEnd.AddListener( On_Move_End_Flyjoystick); landButton = GameObject.Find("landButtonInstNet").GetComponent<ETCButton>(); landButton.onUp.AddListener( On_LandButton_Up); flyButton = GameObject.Find("flyButtonInstNet").GetComponent<ETCButton>(); flyButton.onUp.AddListener(On_FlyButton_Up ); fireButton = GameObject.Find("fireButtonInstNet").GetComponent<ETCButton>(); fireButton.onDown.AddListener(fireHandler ); ForceSlider = GameObject.Find("SliderInstNet").GetComponent<Slider>(); } }

Answers

• vadim
    vadim mod
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi,
    What is the purpose of creating controls via PhotonNetwork.Instantiate? I guess you do not need to synchronize controls across network. So process them as plain Unity objects. Or at least disable them on non-owning clients (check PhotonView.isMine).
  • FGStud
    FGStud
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good question. Not sure why I needed to do that.

I went ahead and left it the way it was and added isMine checks but still got player controls already exist message and no player could be controlled. Same issue.

I changed to simply instantiating the controls (not PhotonNetwork.Instantiate) and now local controls move remote player and remote controls move local player. They are backwards.

Any ideas what to check?
  • FGStud
    Options
    Could this also be the wrong camera following the wrong player?

I have my player prefab that I PhotonNetwork.Instantiate. This prefab has the camera for the player as a child. No fancy follow. Just a child of the parent main game character.

Could that be the issue?
  • FGStud
    Options
    Update: Having the camera as a child of prefab was the issue.

I would still prefer to have it be the child of the prefab character (looks better when playing) but as of now it's not working.

I moved camera out of prefab and set it's target to PhotonNetwork.Instantiate 'd player (as in robotKyle demo) and it all works.

Not the perfect solution but workable for now.
  • illogiK
    illogiK
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In the Start method, disable everything that your player doesn't own.
    if (!Photonview.isMine)
    {
    // Camera disable
    // Script unique for your player disable
    // etc.
    }

Edit :
    This way, just the camera of your player will be enable. And you can let the camera in your prefab