Article: Why You Shouldn’t Use Photon Cloud In A Production Game

Options
Hi, I recently found this article: http://www.daikonforge.com/forums/threads/why-you-shouldnt-use-photon-cloud-in-a-production-game.2309/

As someone considering using Photon Cloud for a production game I had a few questions.

1. Could you respond to the Lag complaints? I personally see ~80ms Ping time (from Canada to US), which is pretty good, but why do I never see 50-60ms as you'd expect from a high-performance server?

2. Cheating. If we build our game on top of PhotonCloud, and it becomes popular enough to attract cheaters, is it relatively easy to migrate our game to Photon Cloud, w/ a dedicated server? What is the level of effort involved here?

For context, the game we're building is a top down 2d shooter, 1-8 players, running around collecting upgrades and shooting at eachother.
Cheers,

Comments

• Bump, still would like to know your thoughts on this article.

Can we expect a better ping when hosting our own servers, and also, would it be fairly easy to transition from Photon Cloud to Photon Server, should the need arise?
  • chvetsov
    Options
    i did not read this article yet. sorry, but just did not have time.

I may answer on second question:
    cheaters is a problem for public cloud. and you have two posibilites here.
    a. dedicated server
    b. enterprise cloud with your plugin.

a). Cloud code is basicly code which you get with PhotonServer SDK. you may just switch to your dedicated server and it should work. well, you also shoudl setup it correctly if you need something custom

b). it is your own cloud where you may use your plugin to control your game logic. more and more customer choose this way. Plugin allows you control game without knowing of details of LoadBalancing. LoadBalancing is already quite big project. so it will take time just to understand everything there
  • bertelmonster2k
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Let me chime in here as well:

General feedback: This article is more than a year old. The website and publisher does not even exist anymore.

1) Lag is a very complex topic.

Our Photon Server is a high performance socket server. I doubt there is any server out there that is faster or provides more performance. The kernel is written in C++ and is written by one of the best networking expert I am aware of.

We only host on bare metal servers in tier 3 hosting centers. This is the best hardware and hosting center you can use. Almost all cloud servers run with IBM/Softlayer: http://www.softlayer.com/our-platform
    Cloud providers like Amazon can not match their socket performance.

Our Realtime SDK (not pUN) has a lean low level API to control sending, receiving, dispatching UDP packages. If you want to squeeze out extreme low lag you need to go one level deeper.

In a nutshell: You will not find a faster Realtime Service provider out there.

2) We provide Enterprise Services that allow to run server-side custom logic (called "plugins"). You can always self host Photon Server and run any server-side logic you want. See the previous post from Ilya for more details.

Contact our support developer@exitgames.com for more information on the Enterprise Cloud options with plugin support.

Good luck with your title - and hopefully we can power it with Photon.