Turn-based games

Options
I'm developing a multiplayer, turn based card game. I'm using Unity. I'm very interested in using Photon and PlayFab as they seem to compliment each other perfectly. But I am still very confused.

1. I want to use PlayFab and Photon. Do I download both SDKs? Or is there a merged SDK?

2. Where does my game logic go. I don't want players to cheat, so I need an authoritative server. Do I get that win PUN? Server? Turn-based? What if I want a Photon Unity game that is Turn based that has an authoritative server? It seems I need all 3 plans!?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi brunes,

It seems that you're asking questions in the wrong category...this should be in Photon Turnbased section and preferably a copy in PlayFab forums.

PUN is Photon Realtime for Unity. Although you can use it for Turnbased but you'll need to pay more (the 500msg/room will be underused) and you'll lose the webhooks feature. Photon Turnbased is what you need.

1. You need to download separate SDKs. Photon TurnBased and PlayFab Unity SDK
    2. You can make use of PlayFab's CloudScript that supports Photon Webhooks.

Start here to learn more about the PP integration.
  • brunes
    Options
    I just saw this reading the Turnbased intro:

Get in contact for early access on custom logic with Photon Turnbased, Photon Chat or Photon Realtime using Webhooks, Web RPC or Plugins.

So I guess I eventually would be able to make a turn-based game with an authoritative logic on the cloud using PUN (Realtime) ?
  • Tobias
    Options
    You can already use WebHooks and WebRPC within a Turnbased Subscription. The Realtime apps are missing this feature still.

PUN is offering WebRPC already and the WebHooks are something the Photon Cloud takes care of for you, so you could get started already.

If you primarily do logic on the server side, I suggest you use the Photon Unity SDK from our download page. The LoadBalancing API inside is leaner than PUN, which hides a lot of the API needed for proper communication with the server. PUN is more for communication between clients.

Get v4.0.0.10 for Unity here:
    https://www.photonengine.com/Turnbased/Download

The docs hopefully get you up to speed to develop your game:
    http://doc.photonengine.com/en/turnbased/current/getting-started/feature-overview