Implementing a Photon server using Lite

Options
void.pointer
edited August 2014 in Photon Server
So I've been reading around the forum trying to find a tutorial that shows how to extend the Lite application provided with the .NET Photon Server SDK. However, I've not been able to find anything useful. I've seen reference to a LiteLobby project that may serve as a good reference to extending Lite, but I don't know where to download that.

My goal right now is to start building a server for a small MMORPG using Lite as a starting point. I'm not sure if Lite was designed to be the foundation for an MMORPG game, but this will hopefully be answered as part of my research.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Where do I download LiteLobby?
  2. Does a tutorial exist demonstrating how to extend Lite? If so, where may I find it?
  3. Will the Lite application serve as a decent foundation for an MMORPG?
  4. Was Lite designed to be duplicated and then modified directly (i.e. modify existing files & classes), or was it designed to be used as a third party library (i.e. not being changed at all)? This is something I haven't been able to figure out. It's important to know this as it is part of figuring out how to extend Lite. Hopefully, however, any tutorial you provide will cover this and many other details.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Boris
    Options
    1. The LiteLobby is included when you download the photon server sdk in the src-server folder.
    2. No
    3. No: Lite does not support an open world interest management that MMORPGS with hundreds of players require. Check-out the MMO Demo instead.
  • dreamora
    Options
    4. You could use it for both but I would highly recommend to use it as a framework and extend the stuff you need. That way you can easily upgrade to new versions commonly. That saves quite some time on the longer go.
  • I realize this is an old thread but it appears that the answer provided here to #2 is no longer correct.

There is in fact an example project in the Photon Server distribution at Photon\src-server\Lite\MyApplication.

Hopefully anyone else who finds this thread will be able to take advantage of this.
  • chvetsov
    Options
    Yes, Thank you