Photon Actively Refusing (some) Player Connections

Options
carmine
carmine ✭✭
It appears as though photon server is "actively refusing" some players connections. I have a 200CCU limit (and there are around 100 people on). The dashboard says it's not refusing anyone.

Please don't tell me to get the latest PUN because I'm waiting for apple to still approve the last time I did a PUN update. I believe this is version 1.52?

People are posting all over my Steam groups about not being able to connect :(

Connect() failed: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect (System.Net.EndPoint remoteEP, Boolean requireSocketPolicy) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect (System.Net.EndPoint remoteEP) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect (System.Net.IPAddress address, Int32 port) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ExitGames.Client.Photon.SocketUdp.DnsAndConnect () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

6/5/2015 2:41:18 PM [ctgNetworkController] OnFailedToConnectToPhoton: ExceptionOnConnect

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

6/5/2015 2:41:18 PM [ctgNetworkController] Unable to connect to server!

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    I only know this particular issue when clients try to connect to a local IP which does not run the server (or have firewalls which block incoming connections).
    It does not look like a CCU limit issue. You should not be rejected on network-connection level but in a message we send to the client that the limit is reached.
    I will have to add the IP to that error log.

Is this on the initial connection to Name Server, Master Server or Game Server?
    Could the players try again and connect later on?
  • Tobias
    Options
    When I go over the limit, then I find this log:
    Authentication failed: 'Max CCU of 20 reached.' Code: 32757

This is not refusing the connect itself.
    We need to drill down into where the clients connect to.
  • carmine
    Options
    I don't even think this user was able to connect to the server at all.

Is there a way for me to determine which step along the way this happened?

-Carmine
  • Tobias
    Options
    Implement OnFailedToConnectToPhoton(DisconnectCause cause) {} and it should only be called when the initial connects fail. You don't have to handle it but logging something could help. The PhotonNetwork.ServerAddress could be interesting, so make sure to log it, too.
  • carmine
    Options
    Looks like I was already logging that and didn't see it come up.

I'm updating to the latest PUN soon. We'll see if this stuff comes up again.
  • tkok
    tkok
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm having the same problem: "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

I was able to connect couple times earlier today. Your Unity "Demo Boxes" tutorial works nicely in other Unity instance. I'm using WebGL in both.
    Tobias said:

Implement OnFailedToConnectToPhoton(DisconnectCause cause) {} and it should only be called when the initial connects fail. You don't have to handle it but logging something could help. The PhotonNetwork.ServerAddress could be interesting, so make sure to log it, too.

I logged these in my game:
    OnFailedToConnectToPhoton: ExceptionOnConnect
    Address: wss://ns.exitgames.com:19093

And I think the error appears when PhotonNetwork.connectionStateDetailed is "ConnectingToNameServer"

Update: I didn't do anything but it worked once but after that it stopped working with same error.
    Update2: Demo Boxes has start the same and can connect to server at random but mostly not.
  • We had a bug, starting yesterday, around 5 PM UTC, until this morning, around 11 AM UTC, where secure websocket connections sometimes failed on the Nameserver for customers in the EU area. The issue was fixed earlier today - please let us know if something is still strange... thanks!
  • tkok
    Options
    Thanks Nicole! I will let you know if we have any connection problems in the future.