PUN cloud unstable tonight

Options
I have a gamejam deadline in 7 hours and I still need to sleep because i work in the morning and for no reason the game stopped connecting to PUN cloud, then after a while it started connecting again, and now isn't connecting again.

I made no changes. My home's internet is really stable.

using best location:

Connect() failed: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No such host is known.

at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName (System.String hostName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry (System.String hostNameOrAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ExitGames.Client.Photon.IPhotonSocket.GetIpAddress (System.String serverIp) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ExitGames.Client.Photon.SocketUdp.DnsAndConnect () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Comments

• We are experiencing this same problem this morning. Problem comes and goes, but mostly stays :roll:
  • :( I'm getting completely crazy....
  • rokawar
    Options
    In fact, all photon server work (eu,us ....) if you connect to it directly.
    But now, photon use ExitGames.Client.Photon.IPhotonSocket.GetIpAddress to retrieve servers list (maybe in case or he setup a new one or change server adresse maybe) and if this host don't work , all photon game are down (funny thing ^^) and it's the case actually on all game who use it, i have checked 5 game this morning and all games are down. Good job's ... .
    I have already make a post about that. For me it's a bad thing because photon can't guaranteed to us that the retrive list server will be up 99.99% of time.
    PhotonNetwork.Connect() is the best. You manage the server adresse yourself but it work perfect and it's usefull when you use photon server and self hosted in same time. but it seem that photon want to remove this function soon.
  • I'm getting the same problem, kept me from working for the last half hour. I hope that somebody at Exit Games is having a look at it soon!
  • Glad to see it's not only me, even if that doesn't help me anything on delivering my game done in 3hours.

So is there a workaround? how do i configure my project to connect to EU directly? (choosing EU instead of best doesn't work aswell)
  • bbrome
    Options
    same here....
  • rokawar
    Options
    I have just take a look at the lasted version of pun and it seem that PhotonNetwork.Connect() doesn't exist anymore.
    just tested right now and it work :

PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.HostType = ServerSettings.HostingOption.SelfHosted;
    PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.ServerAddress = "app-eu.exitgamescloud.com";
    PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.ServerPort = 5055;
  • Yes you are right. Using your configuration and then calling ConnectUsingSettings seems to work.
  • Thanks, rokawar, this works for me, too.

BTW, this seems to be a Microsoft Azure problem in Europe. Exit Games Tweet a few minutes ago:
    Azure has DNS issues that impact our License Server and Name Server. We are investigating. Azure status see http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/status/
  • I sent a tweet to @ExitGamesStatus. I got a reply they are working on it and they have also posted a tweet about the cause of the problem: https://twitter.com/ExitGamesStatus/sta ... 4267653120

The workaround posted by rokawar seems to work if youre still working on your app however.
  • Hi guys, sorry for the late response here.

We are hosting our "name servers" with a high availability setup on Microsoft Azure. This is NEVER supposed to go down.
    But they have a DNS issue in Europe: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/status/

Network Infrastructure - North Europe and West Europe - Partial Service Interruption

1 hr 8 mins agoStarting at 30 APR, 2015 01:25 UTC customers in North Europe and West Europe may experience DNS resolution failures to our services. We are currently evaluating options to restore service. The next update will be provided in 90 minutes.
    Multiple Services - West Europe & North Europe - Advisory

We switched the DNS entries to static IPs now - this should resolve the issue by now. Does it work better for you?
  • Well now it's working, pun already made a workaround,

Funny fact, my game jam is sponsored by Microsoft. xD
  • I guess they need some feedback on this. ;-) Good luck for your game jam anyways!
  • It seems to work again for me, thanks!
  • bbrome
    Options
    is ok now! good job
  • Thanks for all your feedback and your patience.

Here is the post mortem:
    http://blog.exitgames.com/2015/04/parti ... -04302015/

Please remember to remove any workarounds, too. Thanks :)