Interest Management

Options
Hey forum,

some time ago I had some questions about interest management and saving messages in rooms.
My old thread http://forum.exitgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5413

The most useful approach seemed to be the implementation of some sort of "interest management".
More specific the usage of groups in Photon.

The idea is that only players within a certain group receive updates and messages of any sort. Players that are "not in range" wont receive those therefore the msg/room-count will be much less.

While reading the PUN-Documentation I came across these lines:
The PhotonNetwork plugin does not support real network groups and no scoping yet. While Unity’s “scope” feature is
not implemented, the network groups are currently implemented purely client side: Any RPC that should be ignored
due to grouping, will be discarded after it’s received. This way, groups are working but won’t save bandwidth.

Does this mean that I actually wouldn't save an messages?

Im kinda confused.

Hope for clarification.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    This is only correct to some degree and outdated. Sorry for the confusion.

PUN 1.50 has Interest Groups and you can use them as described here:
    http://www.m2h.nl/network-traffic-culling
    They actually save a lot and updates can be kept reasonably frequent at the same time.
  • You have to pay $60 to get that network traffic culling script? I don't even understand what that asset is, and it has HORRIBLE reviews.. I wish the script was available separately.
  • @FamerJoe
    I kinda have to agree, the reviews don't look too good.
    Also, I will only buy it because of the "interest-management".

@Tobias
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Although it would be nice if u guys would set up a documentation or something like that about the topic.
    I learned myself everything about PhotonCloud with Tutorials and the docu.
    Im kinda bugged out I have to buy the whole PUN+ for this one script.

Thanks for the fast support though.
  • Tobias
    Options
    The package linked inside the article is not PUN+. It's a separate guide for networking, done by M2H. Exit Games is selling it on their behalf and the money goes to a small team of developers.
    I'm sorry that the script is not available for free but it's not our decision.
    I am in contact with M2H about updating the asset but the guys are crazy busy. Maybe you can nag them by mail or on their support page to do some updates.

I think with the description you can probably come up with something similar, if you wanted to. The principle is what's interesting. The actual coding should be fun :)
  • @Tobias yup it probably would be fun, I've just been taught not to reinvent the wheel whenever possible! :)