Using RUDP to confirm packet success.

Options
n my lockstep RTS game, I need some sort of confirmation that a packet is sent correctly. My original idea was to send back an RPC after receiving the original ones to confirm success, but this would be inefficient if RUDP already confirms successful transmission. Is there a way I can 'hijack' the RUDP confirmation to let my sender know that the send was succesful?

Comments

• vadim
    Options
    RPC are always reliable. So you always can regard them as sent correctly while connected (you will be disconnected after several RPC send attempts).
    There is no handler on RPC successful send. But you can use PhotonTargets.AllViaServer option in RPC call. In that case RPC will be called on sender via server that ensures that server received RPC.
  • SnpM
    Options
    Sorry I didn't phrase it correctly. I need to confirm that other players received the RPC which is why I'd like to use the RUDP confirmation.
  • vadim
    Options
    Again, while other player is in room, he receives RPC for sure within reasonable time.
    If you need to handle receiving on other client then you definitely need explicitly send confirmation from other client to sender.
    But such checks look redundant for Photon RPC. What are you trying to do?
  • SnpM
    Options
    I actually just looked past the ACK handshake as it's not too much a big deal. In order to run the game correctly, I need to make sure everyone receives the RPC before running mine. If they haven't received it by the designated time to run, my game will freeze until everyone does. That way, the game stays in sync.
  • Tobias
    Options
    We should use only one conversation for this topic. Let's keep this one.
    The other is: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5564