Unable to connect - Socket Exception: No such host is known

Options
82apps
82apps
I've got a player who is unable to connect to the photon cloud. Their output log shows this message:
Connect() failed: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No such host is known.

at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName (System.String hostName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry (System.String hostNameOrAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ExitGames.Client.Photon.IPhotonSocket.GetIpAddress (System.String serverIp) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ExitGames.Client.Photon.SocketUdp.DnsAndConnect () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I also see in the log further down:
Could not resolve host: app-eu.exitgamescloud.com

...plus variants of that for asia, jp, and us servers.

I saw similar forum posts, but they were for users on iOS or in situations where there is no internet connectivity. This user is on a desktop computer, and they have internet connectivity.

Any suggestions on what I should look into?

Comments

• vadim
    Options
    How do you connect to the cloud?
    Usually it's done with PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings("1.0");
  • Tobias
    Options
    Connect will return false in this case. Log out the address you use.
  • 82apps
    Options
    I'm using ConnectToBestCloudServer or ConnectUsingSettings depending on the connection method the user has selected ('best', or a specific region server). I believe this user gets the same result no matter what connection method they choose.

FWIW, this is the only user that's reported it. I've got a good amount of active players and they definitely would have let me know if they had the same problem.
  • Tobias
    Options
    It seems this user might have an issue with the DNS setup on the client. Maybe it's even a firewall thing (the app might not be able to do any networking).
    Like you said, it's not a bug in general but some specific thing. This user will have to figure out how to solve this.
    If it's the firewall, starting the game from another path might lead to a new dialog about networking.
    Aside from that, I'm lost, too.
  • 82apps
    Options
    Ok thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.