Windows GCC!

Options
SheoKa
edited August 2014 in Native
Hi,
I am new here. Does windows c++ sdk works with GCC also. I use codeblock with gcc windows xp.

Sorry, if I posted on wrong forum.

Thanks.

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi SheoKa.

Yes, this is the right subforum for all questions regarding C++ Clients.

No, we currently don't support any other compilers / IDEs aside from MSVC / VS on Windows and we don't plan to do so in the foreseeable future. There is just not enough demand for that as VS is the defacto standard on Windows. Sorry.
  • Ok, can I use express, If so, which version should I use?
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    The current SDK supports VS 2010, 2012 and 2013. It should work with Express editions, but we normally don't actively test against them explicitly. however I have just tested with VS 2010 Express and everything works fine, so I assume that it also works with the Express editions of VS 2012 and VS2013.

When developing an application (contrary to developing a 3rd party lib, that would likely have to offer support for older compilers) I would recommend to use the newest release that all 3rd party libs support, so that you are free to use newer language feature that are not supported by older compiler versions (for example the C++ 11 support in VC 10 is very rudimentary).
    Also from a Photon developer perspective I would recommend to use the newest compiler version that you can and that Photon already supports as they will remain supported by Photon for a longer time than older versions - while we don't drop support for a VS version just 2 years after it has been released, we can't support 10 years old compiler versions.