Properly changing Public IP

Options
jtsmith1287
edited August 2014 in Photon Server
I've seen this question similarly asked already but the answers didn't solve my problems. I can connect and play my game via local IP, but not my public IP.

I have been connecting to the default LoadBalancing, self hosted server just fine. This has all been with my local IP, so I forwarded my port (which I have done successfully many times, even with UDP), and changed the GameServer IP Config to Auto Detect the public IP, as suggested on this forum. If I try to manually update the UDPListeners in the PhotonServer.config my server won't even start, so I, for some reason, have to leave those all on 0.0.0.0. So I've basically been running around trying to change every IP setting to get this to work with no luck. I really don't know what I'm doing. Could someone please outline, from start to finish, everything that needs to be done to successfully connect to the public IP? so far I've done the following:

Change GameServer IP Config to Auto-detect,
Change the DefaultServerAddress to my public IP in ServerSettings script in the PhotonServerSettings object.
Forward port 5055 from my local IP.

I've tried a few other things but reverted them when they didn't work. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Now I see that I'm in fact connecting to the server:

2014-07-27 12:33:36,408 [28] DEBUG Photon.LoadBalancing.MasterServer.GameServer.IncomingGameServerPeer [(null)] - Received register request: Address=71.95.100.217, UdpPort=5056, TcpPort=4531, WebSocketPort=9091, State=Normal

But as soon as I try to join the room it fails. Why would the IP affect if I can join a room or not while and not affect whether I can join the server?
  • You also need to forward port 5056 / 5057 on your router for requests to the game server application.
  • Perfect! Thank you so much. This makes perfect sense.