Help to learn the ropes of creating own server

Options
ironbunny
edited March 2014 in Photon Server
I am trying to follow the CJR tutorials link
I am able to understand the code
but what i don't understand is why CJr creates which class and what are the roles and workflow of each
for eg. PhotonRespnse,PhotonRequest,Imessage........and all others
I have made games with unity (c#) but that's what my knowledge is limited to
Any other resource where I can learn server side scripting or understand what CJR exactly does would be really helpful

Thanks in advance
Sorry for being a noob in codin :D

Comments

• Hey,

I propose that you have a look at the "Getting started" & "Tutorials" section of our docs:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/en/onpremise/

Does that make things a bit clearer, or are you missing something?
    I admit that our documentation is not the best, but we appreciate your feedback and will try to improve the documentation whenever we can.
  • Hey,
    Thanks for your answer
    But i have checked those links,I can understand what's in them

What i want is that i should be able to write the server framework and game logic without watching the tutorials and just merely referencing to the documentation(the server classes etc. in the sdk)
    So if you could guide me to which projects or which site or which book should I start learning (outside of the realm of photon and unity) so that i can then with that knowledge start using photon
    I just know few languages C,C++,C#and mysql
    I have made games with unity using c# like a tower defense game,3d space shooter,tic tac toe single player

Again thanks in advance

IRONbunny :geek:
  • Have you thought about using Photon Cloud instead of Photon Server OnPremise?

Here are some tips if you want to start from the simplest possible dedicated server (what I have done). This may or may not work for what you are trying to do.

Start with reading to just understand the core concepts in photon, like OperationRequest, OperationResponse, and SendEvent.

1. create a Visual Studio project and add Photon.SocketServer and other references to your project.

2. Sublclass PeerBase, name it MyPeer.
    implement OnDisconnect, OnOperationRequest.

3. Subclass ApplicationBase, and name it MyApp.
    implement Setup, Teardown and CreatePeer methods. Return an instance of MyPeer in CreatePeer.

There is a .chm file with the full .NET api-- I have found that very helpful. Hope this helps
  • GTT
    Options
    I would need some help too guys.

So I read all of the stuff, I started working on this: http://doc.exitgames.com/en/onpremise/c ... om-scratch

I coded the basic server, and then it says: ,
    "The server configuration looks like this..."

<Applications Default="ChatServer">
    <Application
    Name="ChatServer"
    BaseDirectory="ChatServer"
    Assembly="ChatServer"
    Type="ChatServer" />
    </Applications>

Ok... Where do I put that? And once I run the server, naturally, the console application just pops up and dissapears. I don't get how to run the damn CUSTOM server. I managed to run the "Lite" thing, made a C# client, connected to it. Ok. Now please explain to me how to make my own server, run it, test it and deploy it somewhere.

I really can't understand your docs very well.

Thank you.