PhotonControl Error

Options
stucko
edited March 2014 in Photon Server
Anyone know why this happens? (it happens every 30-50 minutes i close photon, restart it, and happens again):

PhotonControl Error

Failed to query processes. Exception:
System.Management.ManagementException: Out of Memory
at System.Management.ThreeadDispatch.Start()
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getOBject)
at System.Management.ManagementObject.Get()
at PhotonControl.ProcessInfo..ctor(Process process)
at PhotonControl.ControlForm.GetActiveProcesses(Int32& serviceCount,Int32&appCount,Int64 memory)

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    I didn't encounter this yet. Does it happen when you stopped Photon and start it again quickly? Or in which situation?

It looks like Photon Control can't access the Photon process for some reason.
    Which server version are you using?
  • Well - it seems like you have a severe memory leak:

> System.Management.ManagementException: Out of Memory

A few hints to debug memory issues:
    - in Task Manager, check the memory usage of your service. Is it Photon that uses so much memory, or is this any other service that runs on your machine?
    - if it is Photon, you can try to use a tool like .NET Memory Profiler (http://memprofiler.com/) to analyze which code uses the memory.
    - you can also collect Performance Counters to get a high-level overview of Photon's performance. From Photon Control: Stop Photon, choose "Install Performance Counters", "Create Logging Set", Start Photon, "Start Logging set". You can use the Windows Tool "Perfmon" to view / edit / start / stop the logging set, and also to open the logs, which are placed into c:\perflogs{Username}. Make sure to stop the logging set when you have enough data, because log files can get large.
  • stucko
    Options
    Hi Tobias, I'm currently using Photon control Version 3.2.6.2037

When Photon Control Crashes, My app still runs, I have no issues connecting to it. Only the Photon Control crashes. when I restart the Photon Control, my app is seen as still running. Could it still be related to my app?

And this only happens in my development server, it doesn't happen on my test servers ( the have the same build, I generally copy them over and run them). The only difference is that my test servers use Windows Server while my development server uses Windows 7.

Thanks Nicole for the tip, based on the suggestion, I took a look at my other processes and they seem to be normal (they stay consistent most of the time). Then I installed and started the PrefMon as per your instructions. I ran the monitoring for a about 1.5 hours and only stopped it shortly after the crash happened. I have the windows performance monitor log with me, but unfortunately don't know what should I be looking at, theres a few spikes ,the highest one at 97,320,960 and it stayed at the top for a few minutes. Is this normal? Would passing the log to you help identify the issue? or do you think its not related to Photon Control?
  • Hi,

this sounds weird... anyway, thanks for taking the time and getting some logs! Can you please upload the perfmon logs somewhere and send me the link per PN? Thanks!
  • stucko
    Options
    Hi all,

Based on Nicole's analysis of the logs, it turns out that Photon Control wasn't the root cause, it is cause by some other processes , in my case it was Visual Studio Express 2013.