Adding chat to game lobby

Options
Hey all. I was hoping to add chat to my game lobby when players are looking for a game room to join. (Sort of like wc3 battle.net where u can message people when ur in lobby and join channels and stuff)

I know photon chat is coming out but was just wondering if it would work for this purpose and how soon is it coming out? If anyone knows. On a slightly tight schedule since I'm working with a team and need to implement chat by may and wasn't sure if photon chat will be available by then.

Was also wondering if it would work to use IRC to set up a chat system in the game? Would that work? OR should i just wait for photon chat.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    Chat is exactly for this type of usage scenario. It's independent from rooms and you can use it to create chat channels like lobbies or team chat.
    IRC is an option but I can't say how well it works together with Unity and Photon.

We plan to advance Chat from Early Access to public beta within the 4 weeks. Starting with the beta, you should be fine to use Chat in a released game. It's stable from the client perspective but we need to do some server-side work still.
    It will be free to use as beta for about a month until we finished CCU counting and subscription setup.