Need more information concerning Photon Cloud

Options
SamOnline
edited March 2014 in Photon Server
Hello everyone, I have a few questions concerning the Photon cloud service.

1. Is there any way to set a master client depending on ping or another required characteristic (other than having the lowest network ID)?
2. Is there a way to allow a specific user to authenticate and make him a "master client" per default for let's say... chat management logic or something like that (what i mean by that is that you need some logic to allow specifics users (moderator of some kind) to moderate things out, don't you)?

Now I have a question concerning Photon Server; is it based on "room" with master client like the cloud (except that you can write logic on the server, and that you have to host it yourself?)

Sorry if some of those question seems stupid (and for my English). Meanwhile I'll keep reading the doc to see if I find something new.

Comments

• Hello Sam,

sorry that your questions did not receive an answer yet.

1. The master client is determined on the client side - so you can use any metric that you want, as long as all clients agree on the "election algorithm". If you want to use roundtrip times, for example, you could set the roundtrip time for each client as a room property, broadcast the property to each client, and as soon as all clients know each other's roundtrip time, they can decide that the one with the lowest RTT is now the master client.

2. As you know, you can not make any server-side changes on Photon Cloud, so you need to implement the "moderator rights" on the client side. We have a custom authentication feature, where authentication requests from your client are forwarded to any custom service of your choice:

http://doc.exitgames.com/en/realtime/cu ... entication

In future, it will be possible to send data back from the custom service to the clients - so you could set a special "moderator" flag and implement the required logic on the client side.

3. Photon Server comes with several applications, the most important one is "Loadbalancing", which is room-based and has basically the same features as Photon Cloud. So you can easily start to develop on Photon Cloud and switch to Photon Server later on. However, if you don't need all the room logic, you can ditch it and start to develop your own application from scratch - you have the full flexibility with Photon.