What server do I need?

Options
Raxis
edited March 2014 in Photon Server
I'm a total noob when it comes to servers (especially photon) basically I want to create a MMO Zombie Survival game, like the means of DayZ etc (being developed on the Unity engine). There are so many options of servers (Realtime, Server, Unity Networking etc). What one do I need?

Just to quickly recap. I want to create around 20ish servers with a 100 person cap that people can play on just like they do on an MMO or DayZ, what do I need?

Comments

• If you don't need any server-side logic, you can just use Photon Cloud - or, as we'll call it in future: "Photon Realtime" - and we'll handle all the hosting stuff for you.

Check out this link:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/en/photon-real ... otonServer

Photon Unity Networking is a client-side package. It lets you use Photon from your Unity-based games. Per default, it uses Photon Cloud / Realtime, but you can also use a self-hosted Photon Server.

You need a self-hosted Photon Server if you want to add server-side logic, or would like to handle the hosting yourself, for whatever reason. In that case, you can handle probably much more than 100 clients on a single server. A rough estimation is that Photon can handle ~ 1000 CCU on a decent quad-core server (although this may vary a lot, depending on your game specification, of course).
  • Raxis
    Options
    So the way it see it, Realtime is the same as Server except you guys host it? So Realtime, you host it, Server, we're responsible for hosting it?

What is the difference between Unity Networking and Realtime? Could you please explain the differences as clear and noobish as possible? Haha, ty!
  • So the way it see it, Realtime is the same as Server except you guys host it? So Realtime, you host it, Server, we're responsible for hosting it?

Yes, they are (almost) the same. You can always start development with Realtime and, if you need to, switch to a self-hosted Photon Server later on. The switch is easy, it's mostly only an URL change in your client.
    What is the difference between Unity Networking and Realtime? Could you please explain the differences as clear and noobish as possible? Haha, ty!
    "Unity Networking" is a package that you can download from Unity's asset store, it integrates nicely with your Unity developement environment - basically a client-side SDK that you integrate into your game clients. In the background, it connects to "Photon Realtime" - but as I said above, you can easily swith to a self hosted Photon Server later on.