PASK & PASK instructions - are they still current ?

Options
ddasin
edited February 2014 in Photon Server
Hi,

Is Exit Games still maintaining the PASK and the related page? Or do you guys recommend installing photon directly on Azure VMs and manually maintaining things.

My endeavor is to deploy my authoritative server on Windows Azure and I am trying to go via the nicely detailed PASK guide http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/pask/. The guide was originally written for Azure SDk 1.8 while the current one as of today is 2.2. I figure there have been a few changes as I couldn't get the Azure LoadBalancing sample (unmodified) up and running :(

Here are my notes :
i). On opening the solution VS 2012 throws up a dialog asking one to either download the legacy Azure 1.8 SDK or use the current Azure SDK 2.2. I chose 2.2, as usual things got a bit awry.
- References to : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Configuration, and Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics needed to be fixed. Solution at this point doesn't complain about anything else.

ii). In Step 10 "To start the worker role in the emulator press F5 or right-mouse-select the Azure.Lite.Deploy project and Start new instance:" . I get an exception:
An unhandled exception of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException' occurred in WaWorkerHost.exe

Additional information: Could not create Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener, Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics, Version=2.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35.

I have tried rebuilding the solution after fixing the references in i) using azure.build.prompter, re uploading the zips to emulator . Then tried to connect to the emulator.

What would you guys recommend? Is it worth spending time looking at PASK or should i reorient trying to install Photon direct on the VM on Azure. Thanks!

Comments

• Anyone? It would really help to get some perspective.
  • Philip
    Options
    Hi,

first of all thanks for your report and short answer yes we still support PASK.
    Can't promise we get to have a look this or next week. It wiil be most like be
    the week after.

Anyway in the mean time the path to update the sdk you discribe sounds right.
    What happend once you started the emulator - can you upload the logs somewhere?

>What would you guys recommend? Is it worth spending time looking at PASK or should i reorient trying to install Photon direct on the VM on Azure. Thanks!
    This depends on what you are trying to do.

In case you are new to photon and azure - I'd rather recommend starting with VM's.

Note: an other option that actually should work - is to leave PASK with the 1.8 SDK - which is what we are currently doing.
  • Hey Philip,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your advice and deployed using Azure SDK 1.8. It worked out well :)!

Hope that you guys get around to updating to the latest Azure SDK soon - though at the moment it is not critical/ blocker for us. I think I personally like the PaaS route that PASK helps us take rather than dealing with VM's directly. This seems particularly more attractive if you'd want to use Photon with other cloud enabled services . Let's see.