Photon Capabilities

Options
Kieran1542
edited February 2014 in Photon Server
Hi all!

This is a very new subject to me and it's becoming a steep(er) learning curve then I expected, I don't like to use peoples time on forums but on this case I think i need to ask for re-assurance.

So my Question then. I want to know if Photon Unity plugin / Photon can manage my game server. Below is what I need to achieve in example formats:

It's an iOS game, a third person shooter.

I need the server to hold 25 rooms each holding 8 people. (200 ccu) (to start with)
The room must stay open for 8 people to join it, then disappear from the client's list of servers for 5 days.
The room that has just been joined must remain open constantly... even with no one playing it and players that originally joined it must be able to rejoin it when they log back on.

So what i think i've worked out:?

So data requirements, State sync is needed for location data (using UDP?) and weapon/damage data is sent using RPC? that's the majority of sent/receive. more can be worked out later.

The server can be non-authorative? (the client can work everything out on it's device?)

I need to be able to send 480 messages per room per second? (30 send 30 receive per player for smooth position data?)

I may have got this all wrong. I really need someone to tell me to stop... you need this.... lol. Photon looks attractive, but is it right?

Thanks for anyone that can help give me an in sight. I have read a lot and i'm learning, but I'm not answering my questions! lol

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    Hey!
    Usually, Photon will clean up a room when everyone quits. However, we have a new feature set "Turnbased" that will allow you to save a room and come back later. You could still use such a room for realtime (FPS) gaming (it's not limited to Turnbased games, that's just a title).
    So all in all, I think you could do this with Photon.
    At the moment, PUN is not compatible with the Turnbased server features. You could try to get this going with our "Plain API" however. It's a bit less comfy but gives you more control over sending and dispatching stuff, which is good for optimizing FPS anyways.

If you want to check it out, register here:
    https://groups.google.com/a/exitgames.c ... ased-group
  • Thanks for that. Will look into it! :)