securing a non-authorative server?

Options
mindlube
edited October 2013 in Photon Server
Hi all, I'm using Photon Server + Unity C# client to build a social multiplayer turn-based game. The server will be non-authorative (to fit my existing game architecture, as well for better scalability)

Any guidelines or rules for how to secure the non-authorative server? By secure I mean- anything to prevent people from spoofing or rigging the game just by connecting with a photon client and sending forged operation requests?

One idea I had was to include a SHA checksum in an authentication step before the gameplay starts. The checksum which is generated from some stuff like the device + user + salt.

That would hopefully make it rather inconvenient to spoof the custom operation requests. However, someone could still decompile the .NET code and learn what it's doing :(

Comments

• You can't do unspoofable security on the client side only. This isn't exclusive to Photon, its just impossible.
  • Thanks- yep of course by definition, it's non-authorative. But tautology aside, there are definitely things that can be done to make life *difficult* for those who might try to spoof or cheat. Just looking for ideas along those lines.