Server Side Programming

Options
rehmanilyas
edited October 2013 in Photon Server
Hi,

We are developing a turn based multiplayer game with Photon Server Load balancing. We are trying to make some logic on server side but unfortunately we didn't find much about it.

I want to ask is it possible to create and retain empty rooms on server or rooms with a dummy player? If yes then how?

In our game flow users create room and start game with this room. But there will be also some static rooms which will remain their about 1500 rooms will be auto created and destroyed daily.

Comments

• Hi,

we are working on a feature were rooms are "kept alive" after players have left, but I think that is not exactly what you are looking for.

What about a little trick? When you show the game list on the client, just add the names of the "static" rooms - and if a user chooses to join that room, and the room does not exist, just create it. Would that work for you?

What about:
    - you
  • Thanks Nicole for your trick :)
    For the time we would manage our logic with create if not exist scenario but it needs a lot of client side code and a lot of effort to make it stable.

When the availability new feature "kept alive" is expected?
  • r_projects
    Options
    Wow, “kept alive" functionality would be very interesting. Wouldn’t that require massive amounts of memory mind? Or are you going to save state somehow?

My solution to this is to use data within a database ;). So if a player was to leave a room and rejoin the data would be persistent, and the room wouldn’t be taking up resource if no one is using it.

However this brings me other problems that im now seeking to solve.
  • Sorry, I can't give an ETA yet - we have lots of things on our stack and need to sort out what we want to release first. It should not take to long, anyways ;)

We plan to give developers the option to define a max. "keep alive" time - so you can re-join a game for, say, 15 minutes after a disconnect. This way, it should not be to memory-intensive. If you want "real" persistency (or keep games alive after server restarts etc.) you need to build an own solution - and we are planning to make that a bit easier as well, developers should be able to "recognize" and modify the points at which they need to do changes (like: save game states / load game changes /etc. ) more easily. (Did I say something about "so many ideas, so little time"? :-D)