MMO game

Options
mad_sir1
mad_sir1 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Photon Server
HI , I have so many problems to ask for exitgames tenichial. I hope that someone can help me !
1. Can I use the loadbalancing framework to provide my mmo project ( one big region such as Asia region,and there are five small region in it ,one small region is one mmoworld, ), we know loadbalancing is base the lite ,so it just provide the room logic ?? I have see the photon Vikingdemo ,but it was a room ,just players can join the room ,creat the room ,but that is not what I want , I just want one big region contains five small region ,one small region is one mmoworld, players can enter the small region and creat the character and then enter the world ,just like the WOW , how can I do that

2. if the loadbalancing framework can provide my project ,how many physical machine I should have for the project :cry: if you help me ,appreciate you very much!

Comments

• 1. Yes, Loadbalancing is based on Lite, it has the "room logic" and provides additional features to distribute your games between multiple Photon instances.

You can create multiple rooms (e.g., one big "World" room and several smaller "region" rooms), and players can switch between rooms easily.
    This might be sufficient to get you started.

In a room, events are in general sent to each other player, so this approach won't scale good if you have large rooms with lots of players.

Sometimes, players are not interested in events from others who are "far away" - for example, there is no need to send movement events to players who are out of sight. In this case, you would need an "interest management", like in our MMO example: http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/ ... 20-%20MMO/

We provide the source code for MMO demo and Loadbalancing, so you can add MMO features to Loadbalancing by yourself. It just depends on what you need, how many players you expect etc.

2. For a start, 1 machine is sufficient (Master + Game Server can run on one machine). If your load increases, you should have 1 separate machine for the Master, and you can add an unlimited number of physical machines as Game Servers. I have already explained server capacities etc. in your own thread about a week ago:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2758&p=12808#p12808
    That's still valid. :)
  • mad_sir1
    Options
    thanks Nicole ,I have learn it , it means I can use the loadbalancing to my project , the five region just like find rooms ? but the rooms have creat by us ,and players just need chose one to enter?? is right? thank you again
  • There are no "persistent" rooms. If a room does not exist, the client needs to create it, and it is closed when the last client leaves the room.

Of course, you can change the implementation to keep rooms open, or save their state to a database to restore it later, or build a "master client" that is responsible for creating the desired rooms - there are several options.
  • mad_sir1
    Options
    Hi Nicole!,thanks for your reply !as you say ,how should i do to keep the rooms open, a masterclient ??I mean that players can't creat rooms ,but just when they login the master they can chose which room to enter as they want !,so it is a problem for me to handle how to creat the room and hold the rooms when the last player leave the room
  • chvetsov
    Options
    Hi, mad_sir1.
    in GameServer you have a class GameCache
    during startup of your application you can call GameCache.CreateGame as many times as you need in order to create games
    In project Lite folder 'Caching' there is class RoomCacheBase(base class for GameCache) it has method 'ReleaseRoomReference'. It removes rooms when all references are closed. You could rewrite this logic to get what you want.
  • mad_sir1
    Options
    thanks chvetsov, can you give me some advice for my project
    my project is a MMORPG , and it have serverl regions(room),one region(room) is an mmowrold, and players just chose which region(room) to enter ,i hope one region(room) can hold about 200-500ccu,ervery region has 10 scenes,so ,I am confused which photon framework i should use ?the lite? the MMO demo??the loadbalancing??or other?and how much does the photon license cost for my project ,I just confused on these ,and If somebody can give me some advice ,I think I can do it! thanks! as you say ,I can keep the rooms opened ,so I can use the open rooms for players to chose ???
  • chvetsov
    Options
    from what you wrote, i would say that MMO demo is good for you.
    MMO Demo is more complex solution, but it contains almost everything what you need. But you need to implement master server your self.
    it is easy.
    i can not say any thing about price. As i know you have 3 PC where you need to start 3 PhotonSocketServer instances. so you can calculate
  • Nicole wrote:
    1. Yes, Loadbalancing is based on Lite, it has the "room logic" and provides additional features to distribute your games between multiple Photon instances.

You can create multiple rooms (e.g., one big "World" room and several smaller "region" rooms), and players can switch between rooms easily.
    This might be sufficient to get you started.

In a room, events are in general sent to each other player, so this approach won't scale good if you have large rooms with lots of players.

Sometimes, players are not interested in events from others who are "far away" - for example, there is no need to send movement events to players who are out of sight. In this case, you would need an "interest management", like in our MMO example:
    http://hackerbot.net/mmo

We provide the source code for MMO demo and Loadbalancing, so you can add MMO features to Loadbalancing by yourself. It just depends on what you need, how many players you expect etc.

2. For a start, 1 machine is sufficient (Master + Game Server can run on one machine). If your load increases, you should have 1 separate machine for the Master, and you can add an unlimited number of physical machines as Game Servers.
    That's still valid. :)

Where do you guys get your servers? Amazon?
  • chvetsov
    Options
    you may use Amozon and other hosters how can give you windows servers.

Our cloud uses different providers to be stable enough