Confused Newbie Which Platform for Unity Android

Options
pionium
edited May 2013 in Photon Server
Hi,

I'm a complete newcomer to Photon and I'd like to utilize Photon Cloud, so I apologise if this question has been asked before (I searched the forum, and didn't find the answer)

I'm writing a game using Unity3D in C# and I'm targeting the Android platform. I'm not sure which Client API I should download, Photon-AndroidNDK or Photon-Unity3D?

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    PhotonAndroid is for native Java Android development
    PhotonAndroidNDK is for native C++ Android development
    PhotonUnity3D is for all Unity 3D Photon Clients, no matter which of the platforms supported by Unity3D you are targeting.
    Finally there is PUN (Photon Unity Networking, not in our download-area, but in the Unity asset store), which wraps an API around the normal Photon C# client API, which is as similar o the Unity3D builtin networking API as possible. This makes porting of existing Unity multiplayer games to Photon easier, but that comes at the price of loosing some flexibility.

Therefor options 1 and 2 are not interesting for you. You should either go with option 3 when you are integrating multiplayer from scratch or maybe also think about option 4 if your game already has an existing multiplayer functionality that is based on the builtin networking functionality of Unity3D.
  • pionium
    Options
    Thank you so much for your swift reply. This is very helpful.

My game already exists, but currently has no multiplayer support whatsoever, therefore it looks like option 3 is the one for me.

Greatly appreciated