Connect to a "Set Public" Game Locally?

Options
falonso
edited May 2013 in Photon Server
I was wondering if I can host a photon server that other players can connect to across the internet, but I can also connect to joining locally from the host computer (for development purposes). I've been looking through the forum and read through the Game Server IP Config on "Starting with Photon in 5 minutes" : http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/ ... ng_started

My understanding is that to allow players to connect to the server over the internet, the Game Server IP Config must be "Set Public," but when the ip config is "Set Public" I cannot connect locally. I am trying to connect to the local IP 192.168.x.x on the host machine and it does not work (It also doesn't work when I try to connect to the public IP on the host machine). I would think that there must be a way to connect to a server locally that is also accessible over the internet.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi,

I've just explained it in some detail here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2681

Please check out that thread and let me know if you still have questions.
  • falonso
    Options
    Thank you very much for your quick response. I did read that thread before but it was helpful to review it - though I am still confused. It sounds like Ineeds to set the Game Server IP Config to "auto detect public ip." I had tried this but still could not connect locally.

Do I need to do port forwarding? I am confused why this affects my ability to connect locally. I tried editing one of the game servers udp IP listeners (in the game server config file) from 0.0.0.0 to my local but that did not solve the issue either. I just am not sure why setting the game server IP to public makes me unable to connect locally.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,

first, sorry that you did not receive an answer until now - your question slipped through.

If you want to connect through the internet & locally, the GS IP needs to be set to the Public IP (which is the IP of your router). You then need to add port-forwarding on your router for these ports: http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/Requirements/