Using Unity for server logic.

Options
Scobbo
edited March 2013 in Photon Server
Hello,
I have an application that works very well, I want to make it multiplayer. I want to implement it as a persistent world. The physics is rather minor (just collisions), the are only a few players at a time but there are numerous moving entities that have very basic logic. All I would be sending is there position (not rotation, the models are just primatives) and basic values such as how much money a worker has or what a soldier is doing. Would it be feasible to run the client as the server and have a modified client that only controls the player and all the entities are updated by the server. Or would this tax the system too much and cause a lot of band width traffic. I don't want to use cloud because then the players are in control of the game and that means that it can't be a persistent world. (When I say persistent up for a week before server is reset because a player has reached a point where no one else can get close to the current top player.

Thanks for your time!

Scobbo

Comments

• Scobbo wrote:
    Hello,
    I have an application that works very well, I want to make it multiplayer. I want to implement it as a persistent world. The physics is rather minor (just collisions), the are only a few players at a time but there are numerous moving entities that have very basic logic. All I would be sending is there position (not rotation, the models are just primatives) and basic values such as how much money a worker has or what a soldier is doing. Would it be feasible to run the client as the server and have a modified client that only controls the player and all the entities are updated by the server. Or would this tax the system too much and cause a lot of band width traffic. I don't want to use cloud because then the players are in control of the game and that means that it can't be a persistent world. (When I say persistent up for a week before server is reset because a player has reached a point where no one else can get close to the current top player.

Thanks for your time!

Scobbo

So I had a lot of similar questions when evaluating the Photon products. The conclusion that I came to was that if you want persistence, use Photon Server and not Photon Cloud. Photon Server does not integrate into Unity3D (from what I understand), but you can build your own cloud applications on top of Photon Server by using Lite/LiteLobby. Once you have done this, you could run a dedicated client(s) on the same box as the server application. I elected not to use a dedicated Unity3D client...instead I am performing my own primitive collision checks inside the host application built on top of Photon Server. This is what I recommend, but I imagine both are possible.