PerfMon problems

Options
Pelekas
Pelekas
edited March 2013 in Photon Server
Howdy,

I'm having very strange problems with my performance counters.
In the windows performance monitor:
* I can see that in the "Add counters" popup
* I can't add them = when I select them and try to add them, they just don't appear in the graph

It used to work fine before, but I uninstalled/installed them again after upgrading my project to Photon 3.2
I'm having this problem on a windows 7 x64 PC.
I already had this same problem on other PC with Photon 3.0 (vista x64 PC), but I figured I was just messing around too much with the different deploy types (bin_win32, bin_win64, ...).

I've already tried some tips that I found on the forum, like: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/perfmon-problems-unable-to-add-counters/e90f231d-0014-457d-8b1f-5f342971597a

But... nothing seems to help.

Anybody have an idea I could try?

Comments

• Pelekas
    Options
    After some more investigation, I figured out why I couldn't add the counters... because PerfMon couldn't find any server instances. /Slaps head

So, the next question is of course: why can't PerfMon find any instances. I started a local photon server, just like I did before on the 3.0 version, but it doesn't register in PerfMon.

Am I missing something obvious? Like, having to enable performance counters somewhere?

One more thing that could cause this problem. I noticed I'm running the win_32 version (because I have some dependencies on x86 dlls), but I'm on an x64 PC. Could this cause the problems?

Anyway.. I'll setup a new test project tomorrow.
  • Pelekas
    Options
    I found the problem: elevated security.

I noticed that the security counters were published when I started the photon server using photon control, but they didn't get published when I started the server from within visual studio (using "start external program").
    Photon control requires elevated security, visual studio does not.
    When I start visual studio with elevated security, and then start the debug session, the counters work fine.

Photon 3.0 didn't require this, counters were published fine without elevated security.

I hope this helps someone ;)
  • Philip
    Options
    Good to here you solved your problem.

> Photon 3.0 didn't require this, counters were published fine without elevated security.
    That's a good point - we'll look into it.