photon server scale

Options
avidgamer19
edited March 2013 in Photon Server
We are considering using photon servers hosted in azure for our game. We are trying to understand the costs involved as we scale. photon charges 3500$ per server per app for unlimited ccus. So, the number of ccus a single server can handle becomes an important factor in cost. Especially when you have large ccus.

how many ccus can a single medium/large/extralarge azure vm with photon server handle for a poker like game? I understand its app specific. But approximate numbers based on your experience for turn based games or poker like games would be of great help.

I had a brief look at photon's client and server sdks. Given that every client has to keep pinging the game server every 10ms to stay connected in a game, i was curious about how many concurrent users a single azure vm (installed with photon server) can handle. Any recommendations on what size azure vms to use for best performance with photon when you have large ccus(50k-100k concurrent users.. not monthy or total active) for poker like games would be of great help.

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    It depends on the player per room and messages per player.
    The traffic and indirectly with it the load due to the message handling scale with O(p*p) * messagesPerSec * #rooms with p being the avg #player in room

If all you do is message relying then going to several ten thousands will definitely be possible.
    But if you can get into the 50 - 100k range is a thing you will in the end have to test or extra polate from artificial tests using the unlimited trial period.