Loadbalancing GameServer

Options
mcmorry
mcmorry
edited January 2013 in Photon Server
Hello,
I'm studying the LoadBalancing application and documentation, but I'm not sure about the best server architecture.
In case of a dedicated server with 4 cores and 8 threads (Xeon E5-1620), is it better to start 4 or 8 gameserver instances or just one?

I've seen that MasterServer handles the Lobby and the workloads of GameServers. So I suppose that it should not be an heave load for RAM/CPU/Bandwidth.
Is it too bad to run the MasterServer together with one or more GameServer instances on one of the dedicated servers?

Thanks for help

Comments

• Philip
    Options
    mcmorry wrote:
    In case of a dedicated server with 4 cores and 8 threads (Xeon E5-1620), is it better to start 4 or 8 gameserver instances or just one?

For the performance just one is better. One instance for Master and one for GameServer might make updating/deployment easier.
    mcmorry wrote:
    I've seen that MasterServer handles the Lobby and the workloads of GameServers. So I suppose that it should not be an heave load for RAM/CPU/Bandwidth.

yes that is usually the case.
    mcmorry wrote:
    Is it too bad to run the MasterServer together with one or more GameServer instances on one of the dedicated servers?

From a perfromance perspective its generally not to bad ... its ok to start like that. If your service grows with time you might prefer to separate out the master.
  • mcmorry
    Options
    Ok thank you.

One more question.
    Is it possible to add and remove GameServers without to restart Photon?
    In case I need to shutdown a GameServer in a cloud during low traffic hours, how could I do this so that running rooms will not be forced to close?

Thanks.
  • dreamora
    Options
    You can't actually.
    There is no mechanism and capability to relocate existing rooms from the server side at least. You would need to have your own mechanic and have clients transfer to a different game server themself.