Windows Server version/edition

Options
mcmorry
mcmorry
edited January 2013 in Photon Server
I'm new to Photon and I'm still evaluating the Cloud or the Server version.

About the Server version, I'm not sure what Windows Server could be fine.
A provider that I use for Linux servers offers a long list, with different prices.
Could be useful to know which one of these versions are fine or not.
    Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Edition Windows Server 2008 SP2 Web Edition Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Edition Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Datacenter Edition Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Web Edition Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Standard Edition Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Enterprise Edition Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise Edition Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Datacenter Edition Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition SP2

And what kind of hardware requirement (CPU, RAM) do you have or suggest based on the CCU or other parameters?

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,

technically, Photon runs fine on any of these editions.

So the choice is up to you - do you need any features of the more expensive editions? If not, just go with the cheap & simple ones - that's usually the Windows Server 2008 SP2 Web Edition or the Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition.

The "Core" editions don't have a full GUI, I would not recommend them unless you know what you are doing. ;)

Regarding the hardware: as a rule of thumb, 1 server with a decent quad-core CPU (e.g., an Intel Xenon X3440), 4GB RAM and 100 MBit/s bandwidth can handle about ~ 1000 CCU. If you want to handle more CCUs on a server, it is very likely that bandwidth will be the bottleneck, not the CPU.

Disclaimer: This is really just a rule of thumb and depends on several factors - in the end, you need to run your own load test with your client & server implementation.
  • mcmorry
    Options
    Thank you for your help. Very appreciated and very useful. :)

About LoadBalancing, should the servers be in the same LAN?
  • Philip
    Options
    mcmorry wrote:
    About LoadBalancing, should the servers be in the same LAN?

No - they don't have to.