Options
woca
edited November 2012 in Photon Server
I am using:
Windows 7 64 bit
Unity 3.5(latest build before 4)
Photon Server v3
Photon Server is running on same machine as Unity project

I am trying the Bootcamp demo and got it working with the Photon Cloud. According to the readme.txt that came with the demo, which I have copied at the bottom, it shouldn't be too hard getting it to work with a Photon Server.

I can get past the photon screen, then passed the screen showing whoever made the demo. Then it asks for a user name, then goes to the lobby with game rooms. There are none obviously so I make a game room(in my pic below I named it 'example room') hit enter to make it, and there it fails and goes to a black screen and I get some warnings in Unity

DdP73.png

7Bem5.png

So how I set it up!

I downloaded the latest photon server (3.0.37.3631).
My project is in C:\Users\a\desktop\bootcamp(server)
I installed the server in the project folder and the folder looks like this

rBy6X.png

I have tried running the Photon Server as a Default Instance and a LoadBalancing(MyCloud) Instance(there steps say to do "Photon InstanceLoadbalancing" which I think was the LoadBalancing(MyCloud) option)

I have set the Photon Server to use the IP 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.24, and what it suggested was my public IP.
Bc0eW.png

I make sure to go into Unity and leave the Photon cloud App ID blank and set the Custom Server Address to whichever IP I was using in the Photon Server above, and also then added the port 4530 (so 127.0.0.1:4530)

MCIUw.png

the image above is cutoff at the right. The image below is what's missing
you can go to this link for the full image

1PizY.png

Port 4530 is allowed in my firewall.

My guesses: The server needs to be in its own folder in the project(so the project has asset, lib, and some other folder, then a server folder)
or using wrong port or wrong IP or both
or have to edit more files than the readme.txt lets on

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the problem is probably a small dumb one(unfortunately the same problem is asked in your forums elsewhere but not answered, I did look)

Here is the only readme.txt with the demo

Setup
======
1) Import package into empty unity project
2) Open Unity3d scene BootCampLiteLobby.unity
3) Edit server setup in "UsePhoton" game object
a) Register online, get your AppId and edit the field "Photon Cloud App Id"
b) Enter your (self-hosted) server's address in "Custom Server Address" (leave the "Photon Cloud App Id" blank)
3) Optional: Setup your own Photon Server (requires Windows XP or later with .NET 3.5 SP1)
a) Download the latest v3.0 Photon Server SDK and extract it parallel to \Assets folder (not into the Assets folder!)
http://www.exitgames.com/Download/Photon
b) Go to the extracted folder, find a the binaries-folder fitting your system and start PhotonControl.exe
c) Right-click the PhotonControl tray icon and in "Photon InstanceLoadbalancing" setup a service or "run as application"
d) Allow PhotonSocketServer.exe through the Windows Firewall. Detailed instructions:
http://doc.exitgames.com/photonserver/firewallsettings
OR
follow instructions at http://doc.exitgames.com/quickstart/photoninfiveminutes
5) Press "Play" in Editor, or build and run

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    I'm sorry you have trouble with that demo.
    I think the first screenshot shows something interesting which you skipped: The network exception points to your client not being able to connect at all.

If I recall correctly, you might be fine when switching to port 5055 in your server address (from 4530).
    By default, our Photon Bootcamp Demo should connect via UDP and the default port for that is 5055. Not sure where you picked up 4530, which is used for TCP by us.

Let us know if that helped.
  • Thanks Tobias! I saw 4530 once and sort of stuck with it, switching to 5055 and using the LoadBalancing(My Cloud) instance worked!

Thanks again