Can photon handle this?

Options
Hi,

I'm evaluating Photon Cloud as my Unity networking solution, but I need to know if it can handle one case.
I tried to view as much of the forum as I could before asking so I apologize if this is a know or frequently asked question. ;)

Can I create a room, set off some actions that will take a while to complete, leave the room and then rejoin the room?

From my initial readings of the docs, this doesn't seem possible unless someone else joins the room before I leave. Since there is no server-side extensions possible in Photon Cloud, it seems to me that room persistence is mainly based on whichever clients are currently connected to a room. In essence, a glorified peer-to-peer session (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Is this correct?

If I switch to full server, can I do the above?

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    Can I create a room, set off some actions that will take a while to complete, leave the room and then rejoin the room?

No.
    Rooms are cleaned up when the last player leaves. Also, the Photon Cloud does not run custom code (by you).

You could do something like it with the Photon Server. It includes a "LoadBalancing (MyCloud)" app that is compatible with the Cloud. Keep in mind that PUN is adding a layer of custom data, that is currently only understood by (fellow) clients. So you won't be able to read a PhotonView's position on the server, out of the box.
    Using the Server SDK you could add persistence and server logic at will but have to host the server (on any Windows machine).
  • Thanks Tobias. It's good to get confirmation on that point.

With that said, it sounds like as long as one client is still connected, the game state persists. This will work fine for my game.