Server Capacity

Options
Curtis37
edited October 2012 in Photon Server
Is anyone able to give me a very rough idea of the max capacity a server could handle for a live action rpg? In a game similar to Guild Wars 2 I imagine a maximum CCU per server on a Single-Quad Zeon, 16GB, Windows Server machine would be around 100, maybe maximum 250. After handling all the physics, AI and players even with a ton of optimization that seems like a realistic number. My question is, I see a 1000 and Unlimited CCU. I imagine 1000 or greater than would be quite unrealistic for a single server even on a Dual-Quad machine. Am I was off here? Or am I correct and these licenses are mainly targeted at games such as turn based/mobile/etc (other non real-time or high bandwidth/high cpu intensive server games).

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    a game like GW has no physics beyond trivial newtonians.
    As such you can easily go beyond that if the room sizes and server logic is correspondingly limited.

If you do realtime physics then a single quad will at worst barely be able to feed 16-32 players but that totally depends on your usage of physics and the 'players in a room' (aka party / instance)

Unless you have a massive memory cache though, the RAM is totally overscaled.

But a game like GW would normally also use a LoadBalancing approach to scale to many machines to handle the load and in that context, reaching 1000 CCU++ is definitely realistic and doable.

A single server is no option anyway independent of the load as you need to have multiple ones to be 'failsafe' to offer a high service availability.

The ccu limit is a thing standard to the field of server technologies, its one of two things that can be 'license limited' without introducing a feature delta which would be unfavorable (the other thing is per machine licensing). Its not explicitely focused on 'async games', just not needfully at Counter strike style action games.
    GW stands in the middle of that by the way