Fusion or pun2 for unity fast paced cross-platform game?

Options

Hello,

We're building a battle royal fast paced game which we will be connecting players from various platforms in the same room with unity game engine.

The room could take around 50~100 players, and the game alpha release will be in 2 months, the full game could be in 8 - 12 months.

We used pun2 before which we were pretty comfortable for us, However we read about fusion being the bright future for photon.

So Knowing that we will need to connect players from different platforms such as Windows, Playstation, Xbox, and possibly Nintindoswtich along with considering the game launch dates, which is the best option for us ? Should we go with pun2 or fusion is the way to go ?

Answers

• Ninety
    Ninety
    edited October 2022
    Options

I haven't used platforms besides PC yet, but something to take into consideration is that Fusion has built-in lag compensation. As my project's gameplay fast-paced as well, it was a game-changer moving to Fusion and having lag-compensated collision etc. It requires a very different architecture to PUN 2 but you get a lot more features out of the box. Photon claim Fusion is more performant as well, though I haven't tested this myself.