Connection issues and getting started advice

Options
ScotKnight
edited September 2012 in Photon Server
Hello!

I'm trying to run a local Photon server. I'm using PUN. I've installed everything and followed the "Photon in five minutes" video. I'm using the correct batch file (windows 7 64bit), and I have forwarded the port 5055 on both UDP and TCP. So I start up the default application and try to connect only to be told that it can't connect. Usually it will say "PeerCreated" which means nothing to me; what exactly does that mean? I've also tried running the "Load Balancing (my Cloud)" option and I still get the same issue. Lastly I tried to connect using my local ip, same issue. What have I to do to get the connection working? If I use the Cloud service I can connect without issue.

I would also like to ask where the best place to start in terms of learning what I'll need to know to put together a multi-player FPS is. I've been searching on Google for a good few days now and I've prety much exhausted all the links Google had to offer, but I can't find a straightforward tutorial which walks through the important elements (syncing, client prediction, server auth (if possible) and so on). Or even just a basic tutorial explaining how to connect and sync clients properly and where to go from there. Preferably something which has you writing code in a bid to learn what exactly you're typing does. All I can find are vague "tutorials" or example files which aren't very helpful as they offer very little or no proper code explanation. It's all a tad like asking how best to bake a cake and being handed an already baked cake! So if someone could point me in the right direction for starting off or better yet pass me a few links I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    What exactly does it say? Check the console.
    The "LoadBalancing (MyCloud)" is what you must run for PUN. It's a cloud on your machine, so to say.
    You might have to configure the IP of your machine via Photon Control "LoadBalancing IP Config". Use the local IP that's shown (192...).

To start with PUN, check out this page (and the others on doc.exitgames.com):
    http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-cloud/M ... 0Tutorials

You could buy the Photon Unity Networking tutorial from the Asset Store, too. That's a bunch of projects by Mike "Leepo" who's a long time Unity user and developer.
    In general, look up game dev pages first, then check out their tutorials. There's www.gamedev.net for instance.
  • Thanks for the response. I can run the Marco demo which connects fine now however the "Demo Worker" demo will not connect, the console error reads "Disconnected from Photon.". I used the exact same settings as I used with the Marco demo. The demo worker seems to only work if I set the Photon server to my local IP, where as the Marco demo works with both local and public. (As expected.)

I will have a look at that tutorial, thanks. I had bought Leepo's first Unity networking tutorial but I did not find it helpful at all, it is just a folder of code with a brief overview, there's no point where you actually write any code for yourself to learn. Due to this I'm reluctant to buy the Photon version as it's apparently "just the same tutorial but re-worded for Photon".

Cheers
  • Tobias
    Options
    Hm. Did you import the Demo Worker into a new, empty project? Then it should work. It's used by many customers and by us, too.
    Maybe update (if you didn't already), then delete the settings file and enter your appID again.