Photon on linux?

Options
KevinB
KevinB
edited January 2013 in Photon Server
Is linux support on the roadmap? Windows Server == pain in the butt.

K

Comments

• It's currently not on our roadmap, sorry. Here is a detailed discussion why we can't support Photon on Linux right now:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1791

It is possible that we'll develop a Linux version eventually, but certainly not in the near future.
    However, thanks for letting us know that there is a demand for it.
  • What a bunch of bs. The losers have been saying that for over two years. They won't make it available for Linux because Linux isn't a multi billion dollar corporation.
    Android runs on Linux, but makes billions, so thats why Android is available, but not Linux?
    Maybe you fart tards could mention that on the Server SDK page instead of wasting peoples time.
    I'll see you burn in hell.
  • uweenukr
    Options
    antiphoton wrote:
    What a bunch of bs. The losers have been saying that for over two years. They won't make it available for Linux because Linux isn't a multi billion dollar corporation.
    Android runs on Linux, but makes billions, so thats why Android is available, but not Linux?
    Maybe you fart tards could mention that on the Server SDK page instead of wasting peoples time.
    I'll see you burn in hell.

Ya that is exactly what they said. Money. End of thread. lol.

EDIT: Redhat. Just one of many publicly traded Linux companies would fall in your catagory of "multi billion dollar corporation"
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RHT
  • dreamora
    Options
    The problem here is not multi billion or not.

The problem is performance.
    Mono is still not remotely competitive when compared to MS .NET 4, even less when compared to MS .NET 4.5 on the threading and concurrency side upon which Photon builds.
    Perhaps thats going to change during the Mono 3 generation (as Xamarin is finally getting the technology stepping up for real usage unlike Novells efforts), but for the time being and especially at the time it was evaluated under Mono 2.8 and early 2.10, it would be suicide to officially claim to support it if you have to add a fine print that says that there is no guarantee that you can even achieve 10% of the Windows Photon CCU number on the same hardware due to Mono.

Do you really think that it matters that you use Linux if you pay 5-10 times as much for the same CCU numbers as you would with Windows Servers? Windows nowadays costs you an extra 10$/m per machine in addition to the 100-XXXX$ you pay for the machine , bandwidth and connection itself. I doubt any project manager will grant you any funds for such a decision 'pro Linux' and I hightly doubt you will continue to work there if you decide to attack them with fanboyism instead of backing up the project with your professionalism.

I've myself requested that at least the 'experimental pure mono' version would be released for those who dev on Linux and OSX to use it as a dev server, but I understand that the expected support would take away resources that can be spent better in the real environment where people pay for it and that is licensed by people.
  • I'm not a fanboy of Linux, but it beats the hell out of the rest of you conforming to be just alike.
    The game was written in Linux for Linux "fanboys" who no longer want to be forced to use Windows anymore.
    Buying the Photon license, there were no "No Linux" warnings, which is ambush marketing, because guess what. No refunds on services unless you use a corporate account. Paypal ripped it right back out from under exitgames.
    p.s. My company listens to me, but theyre also anti Indiasoft as well. As for funding, we got the 2.5 and the devs work under me. Sounds like YOU'RE the Windows fagboy here. Why are all Swedes faggots? More blondes for me.
    dreamora wrote:
    The problem here is not multi billion or not.

The problem is performance.
    Mono is still not remotely competitive when compared to MS .NET 4, even less when compared to MS .NET 4.5 on the threading and concurrency side upon which Photon builds.
    Perhaps thats going to change during the Mono 3 generation (as Xamarin is finally getting the technology stepping up for real usage unlike Novells efforts), but for the time being and especially at the time it was evaluated under Mono 2.8 and early 2.10, it would be suicide to officially claim to support it if you have to add a fine print that says that there is no guarantee that you can even achieve 10% of the Windows Photon CCU number on the same hardware due to Mono.

Do you really think that it matters that you use Linux if you pay 5-10 times as much for the same CCU numbers as you would with Windows Servers? Windows nowadays costs you an extra 10$/m per machine in addition to the 100-XXXX$ you pay for the machine , bandwidth and connection itself. I doubt any project manager will grant you any funds for such a decision 'pro Linux' and I hightly doubt you will continue to work there if you decide to attack them with fanboyism instead of backing up the project with your professionalism.

I've myself requested that at least the 'experimental pure mono' version would be released for those who dev on Linux and OSX to use it as a dev server, but I understand that the expected support would take away resources that can be spent better in the real environment where people pay for it and that is licensed by people.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Why is it relevant for you, if the server runs on Linux or on Windows, only because you target endusers on Linux?
    The endusers will use the clients and will never have to touch the server. All communication between clients and server is completely agnostic of the platforms on either side, so it just does not matter for the clients, on which OS the server runs on.

PS:
    We also have no "server does not run on iOS" warning and so on. No software on the planet provides a list of operating systems, on which it does not run, because where would one stop. There would always be an OS, thats missing in the list and there would always be someone complaining about that fact, so better not providing a list of incompatible operating systems in the first place.
  • dreamora
    Options
    antiphoton wrote:
    I'm not a fanboy of Linux, but it beats the hell out of the rest of you conforming to be just alike.
    The game was written in Linux for Linux "fanboys" who no longer want to be forced to use Windows anymore.
    Buying the Photon license, there were no "No Linux" warnings, which is ambush marketing, because guess what. No refunds on services unless you use a corporate account.

I fail to see how this is relevant.
    Client is client, server is server.
    The server is run by you.
    Your users will never run the server, you are not even allowed to do that (nor would it work as the license is server bound)

Your users will use your game which uses the Photon client library which runs on a lot of platforms including linux (with websocket and marmelade in the mix this even includes nowadays exotics like symbian, bada and blackberry) so you neither lost anything, there was no scam nor will it impact your project unless you for whatever reason have no avid Windows server admin but finding one of them is significantly easier than finding a capable linux programmer thats able to get your game run on debian + fedora + mandriva + 32bit + 64bit at the same time luckily :)
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    dreamora wrote:
    Your users will never run the server, you are not even allowed to do that
    Well, one is not allowed to do that by the standard license agreement, but for every rule there is an exception and if this is a critical requirement, one can just ask us and I am sure, that we will find a way.

Blackberry is actually also supported natively, not only through Marmalade, at least for Blackberry 10.

Aside from that as always nice post.
  • It's relevant to us who are sick of being screwed by Microsoft; forced to code just for them.
    I have enough fly-by-night Windows developers, but as the Democrats said before voting for the Monkey in Chief in the USA, IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE!

Against the TOS or not, in 13 hours I have ported the SDK to Linux. Only six players, but fps beat the Windows SDK by 13fps. Windows=88fps on Windows 7, Linux=101fps on Ubuntu12.04.
    And it can't be done? :lol:
    If you weren't suck a prick, I would give you the new code to increase your "fanboy" base.
    p.s Whatever you used to strip it didn't work... obviously. This will be my final visit here, I have a server to debug.

Sincerely,

Bill Adams
    Disney Digital Arts Lead developer: Tron 1986 and Tron4D (coming soon)

Edit: There is just one more thing. Watch Youtube over the next few days: search Photon on Linux to see what you lost for being an ass.
    dreamora wrote:
    antiphoton wrote:
    I'm not a fanboy of Linux, but it beats the hell out of the rest of you conforming to be just alike.
    Buying the Photon license, there were no "No Linux" warnings, which is ambush marketing, because guess what. No refunds on services unless you use a corporate account.

I fail to see how this is relevant.
    Client is client, server is server.
    The server is run by you.
    Your users will never run the server, you are not even allowed to do that (nor would it work as the license is server bound)

Your users will use your game which uses the Photon client library which runs on a lot of platforms including linux (with websocket and marmelade in the mix this even includes nowadays exotics like symbian, bada and blackberry) so you neither lost anything, there was no scam nor will it impact your project unless you for whatever reason have no avid Windows server admin but finding one of them is significantly easier than finding a capable linux programmer thats able to get your game run on debian + fedora + mandriva + 32bit + 64bit at the same time luckily :)
  • Tobias
    Options
    Bill,
    I'm sorry you wasted time and effort on Photon before you found out that the server does not run on Linux. That was not our intention, obviously. No need to be rude (and you are).
    Even more so, cause it's not exactly a secret that the server requires Windows. Our "requirements" developer pages tells you and the only Server SDK zip we offer has a readme that also notes the requirements, as far as I know. But yes, the info is missing in the shop.

There's no point in discussing Linux vs. Windows (here). I understand either side and honestly: We're not anti-something. We're just a small company and the guys working with us happen to be used to Windows, so we focus on that. We just happen to know it better. If you get in rage about that, please do that somewhere else! That would be like flaming someone for coding in PHP instead of Perl or for speaking any other language than English.

So, you ported the Photon Server C++ Core to Linux? No joke? Does the C# application logic need changes to run in Mono? How does it behave with 1000+ connections?
    I don't see where you measure FPS. Usually everything in Photon Server is event driven. Did you setup a game loop?

If you can get over your rage and flaming, we might actually talk like sane developers and find solutions.
  • uweenukr
    Options
    Tobias you are the man. Always so cool and helpful.
  • antiphoton wrote:
    ...This will be my final visit here, I have a server to debug.
    Sincerely,
    Bill Adams
    Disney Digital Arts Lead developer: Tron 1986 and Tron4D (coming soon)

Um... google for "Bill Adams" +"Disney Digital Arts" and there exactly is 1 hit: this forum thread. I think this troll's posts should just be ignored.

Back in the real world, I'm a longtime Linux user too, but I still chose Photon because it's simply the best socket server for games I could find. Best API, most client platforms, and top performance. Cheers
  • Tobias
    Options
    mindlube: Thanks for your warm words :)
    I did the same search on Bill but looked up Tron. He was a developer of the original and meaning he's a bit older already. I doubt anyone stays this long in the games industry while writing in that style.
    Maybe it's better to edit his troll post and name claiming to make sure no one will think this is real.