If UDP port is blocked, can I try to connect via TCP ports?

Options
chasiubao
edited September 2012 in Photon Server
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about ports actually...

1) Can I use 5101 instead of 5055 when connecting to the Photon server? I tried changing this in PhotonServer.config and in my firewall settings and it wouldn't allow me to connect, so I'm assuming no?

2) If 5055 is blocked for whatever reason, is it possible to use TCP ports 80 or 443 to try to connect to Photon instead? If yes, how can this be done?

Webex, for example, does something like this where a connection to their server will first try to go through 5101 and then 80/443 if 5101 is blocked. I want to piggy back off this behavior if possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi chasiubao,

directly to your questions:

1. Yes. If you altered the values in the correct .config file it should work out.
    you need to set the values for:
    <UDPListener
       IPAddress="0.0.0.0"
       Port="5055"
       OverrideApplication="Master">
    </UDPListener>

or
    <UDPListeners>
       <UDPListener
          IPAddress="0.0.0.0"
          Port="5055">
       </UDPListener>
    </UDPListeners>

depending on the server you are using. If you are starting a 'private' cloud you need to set the first one. In the other case you need to change the second. These entries are to be found in the PhotonServer.config file in the corresponding deploy folder (i.e. bin_win32, bin_win32_xp, bin_win64 or bin_win64_xp).
    May be you changed you config in the wrong folder?

2. You can also switch to TCP instead. Here you would have to make nearly the same configuration changes. Logically it is not called UPD here:
    <TCPListeners>
       <TCPListener
          IPAddress="0.0.0.0"
          Port="4530"
          PolicyApplication="Policy">
       </TCPListener>
    </TCPListeners>

or
    <TCPListener
    	IPAddress="0.0.0.0"
    	Port="4530"
    	OverrideApplication="Master">
    </TCPListener>

Remember, that you need to change the game-server configs too, if you are using a 'private cloud'.

Hope that helped already.

Tim