Fusion + Voice for VR game with high player count?

Options

Hi, I'm currently using PUN + Voice for a VR game and I'm interested in upgrading to Fusion for the prospect of allowing much higher player counts per room, but I have some concerns.

How do the Voice limitations work if I'm using it with Fusion? Say I want to have a large town scene that has a 200 player limit, if all those people join with voice chat won't I burn right through my Voice traffic? I imagine that Voice was made with the usage of PUN in mind where one room would hold maybe 20 players at most.

I read about Fusion's built-in interest management, is this something that Voice will play nicely with? And if so, would it do enough to actually facilitate 200 voice connections in the same room?

Thanks!

Answers

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Stefferp,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Yes Photon Voice rooms with 200 players is quite a challenge! But I think with a couple of optimizations (SuppressRoomEvents/SuppressPlayerInfo support in Voice 2 + AoI support in Voice-Fusion integration), we could reach a number higher than 20 but can't promise the 200. I also doubt that 200 players are talking to each other at same time, not sure what is the maximum number of players that should be allowed to talk to each other simultaneously at the same time.

• Stefferp
    Options

You are right, 200 people talking all at once within ears reach of each other is never going to happen, so that should alleviate the load somewhat with interest management. If I host my server on premise, will that also allow me to go beyond what I would typically get out of Public Cloud? I wouldn't be restricted by the msg/s limit like on Public Cloud, correct? I've been thinking about switching to self hosted lately anyway so maybe now is a good time for it.

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Photon Fusion is not available with self hosted Photon Server. It works with Photon Cloud only.