Is PUN 2 viable for games with a large player base?

Options

My game has sold 98,000 copies in Early Access - and still growing rapidly. Recently I have started to recode a lot of the core functionality of the game to be better suited for multiplayer, and I have been on the hunt for network solutions for my game. Right now I have about 10,000 active users that hop on and off throughout the month. When a big update drops, that number increases by a LOT. Obviously, making the game multiplayer would increase that drastically as well (as, of course, it is the most requested feature).

I am only interested in four player co-op per lobby - but that also includes dozens (and dozens) of networked entities like enemies, projectiles, environment interaction, and more.

From what I have seen of PUN 2, it doesn't allow peer 2 peer. I don't mind spending some money on servers as long as I am sure that I won't be suffering from it later. However, it seems like the max CCU is 2,000 at $370 per month. 2,000 CCU just does not seem like it will be cutting it if the game continues to grow.

Is there something I'm missing here? From what I can tell, PUN 2 just isn't designed for bigger games.

Answers

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @low_hanging_nuts,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Congratulations for the ~100k copies of your game!

PUN or Photon Realtime can scale very well to unlimited CCUs.

But if you are starting we now recommend Photon Fusion.

Maybe send an email to developer@photonengine.com with details about your successful game so someone can give you tailored assistance.

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    edited February 2022
    Options

As long as you don't expect to put all players in one match, PUN 2 will scale fine for basically any number of CCUs, as we can distribute the rooms on many Game Servers.

2000 CCU is just the max value for using the Public Cloud. Beyond a certain amount of CCUs, it makes sense we get in touch with one another, as huge games should not run on the Public Cloud. But it's not a cap.

That said: Fusion is the better choice likely for current projects (with lots and lots of projectiles).