Latency "DataSendingDelayMilliseconds"

Options
vreference
edited July 2012 in Photon Server
Are these commands no longer functional in the current server build?

DataSendingDelayMilliseconds="0"
AckSendingDelayMilliseconds="0"

I'm still getting about 60ms of latency and way back when adjusting these delays was a solution.These commands are no longer in the config file and adding them doesn't appear to do anything?

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    We set new default values, so they don't have to be in there in the default setup. But they are still supported and work (I just verified locally).
    Ad you used them before, I assume you restart the server when you change the values.

You run the server and client on the same machine but still have the delay?
    Are you sure you change the settings for the instance you start?
  • vreference
    Options
    I guess I may be seeing the sum of the delays on two clients. I was measuring round trip between two clients and I suppose at 30ms update intervals you could end up with 90-120ms worth of latency pretty easy. When shooting for high performance would it make more sense to run service every frame and control timings of outgoing operations/events? I assume there is network overhead for each call to service whether anything it outbound or not?
  • Tobias
    Options
    Calling Service every frame has a performance cost and will have some network overhead.
    Or the other way round: When you don't call it every frame, messages can be sent together and headers are still only needed once (thus saving bandwidth).

Most likely, your game won't send updates every single frame. Instead, every 200ms, network updates are created. You know when this happens, so add a extra call to SendOutgoingCommands when you created the data to pass on.

For receiving: You can call ReceiveIncomingCommands more often than SendOutgoingCommands, as it just checks all channels for data being "ready".