[License]Non-floating development license and more

Options
Xankill3r
edited July 2012 in Photon Server
Hello there.
We are an indie studio working on a multiplayer game environment.

1. I would like to request for a non-floating license (heard that a 20 CCU one is available).

2. I would also like to clarify the "per App" term in the indie license. If we have a number of different games available, each accessible from the same client application, does that qualify as a single app?

3. We plan on building upon the Loadbalancing application for our project. Each sub-server would then handle the logic for a different kind of game. Each sub-server would itself be divided into a number of game rooms plus exactly one lobby room. What do you think of this architecture? Do you have any suggestions?

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    20 ccu license
    The Photon 3.0 final release is almost ready and will run without license for up to 20 ccu. Do you mind waiting a day?

Per App
    Good question. I tend to say "whatever fits your needs better". If your app / title is a compilation of mini games, then it's just one. If you consider it multiple games, then they are multiple apps. We will accept either argument. In the end, it's about the CCUs you can have on the server.
    If any game or the compilation gets super successful, we hope you buy suiting licenses ;)

Loadbalancing per Game
    Don't overdo it in terms of servers. A server can handle 1k concurrent users and up. You need 10 to 100 times that many users who own/use your game to get this many CCUs.
    You can run multiple Photon instances (master AND game server each) on one machine. Apply different hostnames per game but for starters, point them to the same Photon instance. You can split them later, if needed. Per instance you have to use a different port then (they can't all listen to the same one).
  • Thank you for the prompt reply.
    1. Final Release? Worth the wait.

2. Compilation of mini-games. It will be our pleasure to buy suitable licenses as our games/income grows.

3. I actually just wanted to know if splitting the game logic for the different mini-games could be done properly utilizing the loadbalancing application. We will probably start off with a single machine only. I don't foresee a multiple machine setup anytime soon owing to the nature of the games we are planning. Another way that the logic could be implemented is by having multiple applications running on the same machine( one for GameA, another for GameB and so on). I'm not sure about the performance or licensing concerns of such a setup though.
  • Tobias
    Options
    There are multiple ways to split the game logic. In the easiest way you would start one application per game in (a single) Photon process. This way, players are completely separated into (mini)games.
    Another idea is to implement multiple lobbies (one per minigame). This is not currently in the LoadBalancing application but also not difficult to do. Then your players would know how many users are online (overall) and have separate room lists per minigame.
  • One more question. Can we expect some changes in the LoadBalancing application with the Final Release?
  • And another question. When you said that the easiest way would be to have one application per game, can I not build these separate applications on top of the LiteLobby application and get separate lobbies for each minigame?
  • Tobias
    Options
    The RC9 is really close to what's in the 3.0 release, logic-wise. So no big changes in LoadBalancing.
    You can build on the LiteLobby application but that's not LoadBalanced. Better use LoadBalancing and add the (not so difficult) new feature of multiple Lobbies in there.
  • Thank you for the clarification. We'll go ahead with modifying the LoadBalancing application then, most probably.