feedback on loadbalancing

Options
mindlube
edited July 2012 in Photon Server
In the Loadbalancing Game1/config and the Game2 config xml, you have this:
<!-- Leave empty and the the IP address will be looked up dynamically at runtime. --> 
<setting name="PublicIPAddress" serializeAs="String">
	<value>127.0.0.1</value>
</setting>
127.0.0.1 is never a correct value to be returned to the client, so why not change it to empty as suggested in the comment?
<value></value>
This tripped me up for a while, just saying :ugeek:

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    It is the correct value returned when you test it locally and thats what the config is for, to develop for and against it :)

In the end it has to be configured, if its not configured it will not connect at all as thats the ip the client will be forwarded to when it tries to go anywhere after hitting the master server
  • Ah I hadn't thought of that (since I'm using a development server happens to not be the same machine that I'm running my development unity client on). Which is probably a not uncommon scenario.
  • dreamora
    Options
    For production development its likely not an uncommon scenario. But anyone going into production likely reads the documentation where its mentioned ;)

The default config is in the end the only one that makes sense cause its the only one granted to be valid at one point, be it only the 'download to toy with it' scenario (though many likely have a version on their machine for the code development side of things on the server. Not all work with it out of the box and doing an internet remote debug session can be a major pita). I've always had and will likely always have a local install beside the one on the server cause its just 100 times faster to do work that way (same thought here thats behind the idea of the mobile input remotes in unity ;))
  • Tobias
    Options
    Yes, the localhost setup is a bit unfortunate and only works if your clients use the same IP.
    It already stops working on emulated devices on the same machine for some client platforms.
    The idea to detect the public IP if none is set was to make live deployment easy. You don't have to setup any ip then.

In the next SDK release, you will be able to set the Game Server IPs through Photon Control. This makes it a bit easier to use and setup.
  • ktweedy1
    Options
    Hi, trying to change my loadbalance to not return the localhost ip but the actual IP address of the computer. Where do I make these changes?

Is there documentation on how to configure loadbalancing, I can't find it?
    Thx.
  • Tobias
    Options
    This explains it:
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1102&p=5470&hilit=LoadBalancing.dll.config#p5470

Good news: The Photon Control of the final v3.0 release can automate this for you :)