Photon for audio

Options
archmaegus
edited July 2012 in DotNet
I've seen the Unity example of the chat application and would like to extend this to include audio. Essentially I want to build a basic version of Skype using Photon (I will be creating the application in .NET).

So the chat piece is already there obviously, what about the audio piece? My thoughts are to collect the audio, break it up into chunks and compress if needed, and use Photon to send audio chunks to the intended receipient. Would Photon be good for this? Has anyone tried this? I'm ignoring video for now.

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    you could use it for it.
    But I wouldn't
    Not cause it wouldn't be good at it but cause there is TeamSpeak, Ventrillo and GreenEar that offer years of expertice in audio compression and backend technology to run on your machines at little to no costs.
    A good audio compression algorithm takes a lot of knowledge and often is patented already anyway
  • Tobias
    Options
    As dreamora points out: The key is to get as little data out of your voice compression as possible.
    Then it's working. One of our customers used this on iOS with an existing voice library and it worked even there.